Post-colposcopy advice needed

Hi ladies,

I've been reading this forum for a while in advance of my colposcopy, which I had today. The doctor was great and put me at ease and she explained that as my smear results had been borderline, they would generally only treat people who presented with CIN 2 or 3. She had a look at my cervix and said that what she saw was consistent with the borderline changes picked up by smear test. She didn't do a biopsy however and has put me on a 12 month recall for another smear test. 

My question is: is this normal? I've done a bit of Googling around the subject in advance of my colposcopy and it seems that even people with borderline smear tests can have higher grade CIN when the biopsy results come back. Twelve months is a long time to wait and I'm concerned that something might happen in that twelve months that might lead to a worse diagnosis next time or that the cells have actually mutated in a worse way but that it is only coming up as borderline on the smear test.

As I didn't have a biopsy, I'm worried that something might have been missed. Has anyone had a similar experience or any advice about where to go from here? I appreciate it's a nice position to be in considering some of the treatments other people have had to go through but my mother died two weeks ago from breast cancer and I'm now completely oversensitive to anything remotely cancer-related. 

Many thanks in advance for your help and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all of you get the best news possible. 

Vicky x