Possible Infection Advice

Hi Ladies,

i hope one you are all having a lovely restful bank holiday weekend.

i underwent a lletz procedure and hysteroscopy under GA just over a week ago for high grade CGIN. I feel like I was recovering pretty well.  I had the procedure on a Thursday morning had general woozy/ achyness for a couple of days and a little bit of brown discharge.  It was there all of the time but minimal and nothing to write home about.  I went back to work on the Tuesday and felt whilst not entirely back to normal pretty much ok.   

However a couple of days ago I started passing bright red blood much more heavily than the previous discharge and having more painful twinges in my stomach.  it wouldn't last very long but would stop me in my tracks for a few seconds.   On Friday morning my boss (bless him) ordered me home as I looked 'pale and ill' I put it down to losing a bit of blood and him overreacting! 

Today I have bled heavily (clots) and pain in my groin and particularly my lower back has intensified.  I'm typing this with a hot water bottle pressed against it.  The pain in my back and radiates all the way down to my (massive apologies for crudeness) rectum.   I just feel very off and not quite right.  There is no smellyness as some of you who have had infections have previously described.   

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Is this a normal part of the process and I am just being a baby?

i will probably try and get to the walk in centre tommorow but any advice/ experience would be gratefully received !!! 

x

Hiya, it can be pretty normal for there to be a delayed reaction on the blood front I thought I was by passing it then boom on like day 5 it was free flowing I also later started to pass skin like clots which was a bit freaky. I'd say if nothing smelly or anything has changed from the start other than experiencing the bleeding all sounds.pretty normal to me but no harm in maybe calling for advice or going to the drop in centre like you say. Hope you feel better take regular pain relief and try and relax we all recover differently and can be bad at pushing ourselves roo hard :). Lots of rest youre certainly not being a baby xx

Hiya, it can be pretty normal for there to be a delayed reaction on the blood front I thought I was by passing it then boom on like day 5 it was free flowing I also later started to pass skin like clots which was a bit freaky. I'd say if nothing smelly or anything has changed from the start other than experiencing the bleeding all sounds.pretty normal to me but no harm in maybe calling for advice or going to the drop in centre like you say. Hope you feel better take regular pain relief and try and relax we all recover differently and can be bad at pushing ourselves roo hard :). Lots of rest youre certainly not being a baby xx

Hey Jane,

Id give the docs a wee call... i had a little bleeding about 10 days after biopsy and cauterising and then had a pain similar to what u describe-a pain in my back radiating down to my rectum (ugh... i think this is the first ive told anyone).  I popped down to my gps surgery told them id had a colp and they gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way... the pain stopped about 3 days after i started the antibiotics so it might be a good idea to talk to the dr.  I had a very similar pain when I had bacterial vaginosis that went undiagnosed for a while...

Thank you so much for your replies.  I'll definitely try and get some medical advice. It's just a pain to happen over the bank holiday !!! 

Yeah I'd get checked out. My discharge did smell and I had no bleeding but bleeding is still sign of infection. The pain u have sounds similar to mine. hope you get well soon x

X

So..... Quick update.  I spent about 12 hours at the hospital yesterday.  Saw a GP and 2 different gynae doctors.   The GP said i had a urine infection but didn't really have any idea re the gynae part of things.  I had to explain the terms Lletz and CGIN to her.....

Was then shipped off to gynae waited a good few hours to be seen.  Had bloods, an internal exam ( swabs etc) and gave a urine sample.  That doctor thought I had an infection from the lletz but wanted a second opinion.  Cue another 4 or so hours of sitting around !! 

A nurse then then turned up to say my bed was ready.  I was completely unprepared an had no clue I was being admitted ! I was told by a doctor and a nurse I would need IV antibiotics for 24 hours.  This made me cry as I had no clue I would be admitted and the thought of being separated from my 5 year old all weekend was ghastly. 

My boyfriend rocketed down with over night things and I settled in waiting for the IV to arrive.  At 10 pm another doctor arrived and I had yet another internal ! She didn't think it was an infection and applied silver nitrate to stem the bleeding.   She did another urine test and didn't think I had an infection.   I am by now very confused still in pain and exhausted.   They gave me some strong pain killers and shipped me off home!!! They at have said they will contact me if my tests come back showing infection.   

I just just feel more confused in honesty and a bit peed off with the whole thing. I am not sure what else to do.  I'm back in work tommorow exhausted in pain and inexplicably after the silver nitrate still passing clots ! My boyfriend and my mum are both pushing me to get signed off  by my GP / consultant but now I feel like it just must be in my head.  

Sorry to rant! Just wanted to vent my NHS frustration   

Jx

Id call the gp in the morning Jane... i didnt even have to have any test-the second i said id had a colp and biopsy, she said no problem and handed me a prescription. After the weekend youve just experienced id tend to agree with ur boyfriend and mum..