Plans Post Radical

I'm scheduled to have a radical hysterectomy in a few weeks and am trying to make travel plans!  The hospital is 4 hours from my home and I have two small children (and am still nursing the baby!)  Is it totally unreasonable to even think about driving home the day of/after my surgery? My surgeon said that I can do my follow up with my gyn...though they do recommend staying close for a day or two in the case of emergency.  But the thought of staying in a hotel recovering with my babies sounds like hell...and I've never been away from them for that long....

YellowSubmarine, 

So sorry to hear that you have to go through this with such a young family. I'm 7 weeks post op. I had key hole surgery and I wouldn't have been able to drive after surgery. If I'm honest, I still don't drive, but that's mostly down to how busy my head is right now. I also have two young children. I'm lucky I have support to help me. Is there anybody to help you, friends or family? Macmillan also offered to help me if I needed childcare support. You could ask them? 

I was in hospital for 4 days. I missed the children terribly, that said, I slept so much. Coming home after 4 days was perfect, but I didn't do much around the house. I just hope you can ask friends and family to help you with your little ones. You'll be the best mummy ever once this is behind you. 

Best wishes, 

N

Hi Hun, I had a hysterectomy nearly 5 weeks ago now, I would say definitely driving after is a big no, I could hardly move for the first few days as it was absolute agony, I was in hospital for 2 days but slept most of the time, I've got 4 children and a business to run so had to get out ASAP aswell, it took about a week and a half before I was able to really do much.

hopefully you can get someone to help you out of do the driving for you, it's so frustrating we have to go through this journey.