Pet after MRI?

Hi guys I've just had an MRI last week. First one after treatment. At my examination I was told ned and I would have a scan to confirm. Had the MRI last fri and then today I get an app through post telling me to go for a pet scan? Is this normal? I am now worried that something may be wrong. Any advice! Thanks. 

Kim. Xxx

Hi Kim

I wouldn't worry too much (easy to say!).  I think that docs prefer to take a "belt and braces" approach these days rather than miss something and get sued.

As regards the PET scan, don't worry if something odd "lights up".  It happened to me back in September 2010 and the docs were expecting the worst, but it turned out to be some sort of inflammation.  There are lots of reasons why things look "peculiar" on scans, so please try to put it out of your mind.

Big Hugs

The MRI can show areas of abnormality which then turn out to be scar tissue. They are probably playing it safe, so try not to panic.

Good Luck!

Ceri xx

I'm in the same boat. My first follow up examination on 9 Jan seemed to show no tumour (treatment finished 5 Dec 2012). Had an MRI scan on 4 Feb the result of which I was told 'doesn't look normal' but there could be scar tissue or liquid, or at worst cancerous activity. My original tumour was 4.5cm at stage 2b, whatever is there is about 1.5cm.

My consultant says she thinks they did the scan too early (exactly 2 months after last rads) so has booked me in for a PET scan on 11 March.

I have been to hell and back in the last couple of weeks, imagining all sorts of things and dreading that I might need a pelvic exentoration. Trying to keep positive!