Period after LLETZ

hi again ladies. Had LLETZ on 18th March. AF wasn't due until next week but I came on a week early & TMI it's really really heavy soaking through a night time pad in an hour kind of heavy! My periods are never this heavy and usually really regular. Normal?

Hi Lemoncat,

i had the same last week. it happened once while i was out. Had to buy new jeans. Not nice at all. I think it is just all to do with the procedure. I expected to be heavier but nowhere as bad as I was. i know it's a bit too much info but I also lost large clots. Just want you to know in case you also have that and panic which I did. 

Hope it eases off soon. 

Take Care

x

I'm the opposite! Had my lletz on Monday and my period started today and it is so light, like baby pink, so weird. Usually I bleed so much. I think the leaflet says if you bleed more than 1 pad per hour you need to contact your GP or nurse. Take care x

That's good to know DB as I literally had my first big clot about 15 minutes ago!

i assumed that was in case it was a problem with the procedure Alizee, IE not sealed area properly. My LLETZ was 2 weeks ago though and this is the first bleeding I've had, do you think I still need checking?

Personally I don't Think you need to worry. Heavy periods do happen and it makes sense it would especially after a lletz. Maybe wait a day or two and see. If you are really worried by all means call your doctor but from the posts I have read, women tend to have heavier periods right after a lletz x

Thank you for the fast replies today :) I'm still confused as to how LLETZ effects your period?! not worried though x

Maybe it doesn't? But I mean it is an operation on the cervix and your period come from the cervix so maybe the period blood moistens the lletz scab and slows down healing? Who knows!

Hey, couldn't not say this but don't want to sound negative...

you had your lletz 2-3 weeks ago, this means that your scab on ur cervix will usually fall off around day 14, this is when you will bleed. You noticed that Ur period isn't due until next week, so I'm good to say that this is your bleeding rather than your period. Now thing is if you are going through a pad in an hour then if this happens more than twice in 2 hours then u need to go to A&E. when you first have Ur lletz they seal Ur cervix with silver nitrate to stop the bleeding. So this falls off after around 14 days. That's y at first you hardly bleed. If u r bleeding that much then u def need to go hospital, they basically have to put more silver nitrate on, plus give u antibiotics as heavy bleeding is a sign of infection. So sorry to say but i don't think its Ur period. I had a lletz a year ago this month and my period after my lletz have been brilliant, used to 7 days heavy, now I only get 5 days at most but light. Still painful but lighter. So please keep an eye on how much blood you are using, if you go to hospital then best to tell them uv had a lletz and your loosing too much blood. U won't need to wait long at all as they will get u straight in. Let us know how u get on xz

Hi Lemoncat,

How is it now? When the bleeding happened to me last week, my Mum ended up calling an ambulance as I flooded a few times through the day and then lost the big clot. The paramedics didn't want to take me in and to be honest, I donn't think they were familiar with the procedure. They told me to rest and see how the bleeding was. I rested at the weekend and then I flooded again Monday. Called the Colposcopy unit where I had the procedure and they said to rest ans monitor it throughout the day. It has now slowed down. Still heavier than a normal period but nowhere near as bad. 

i know the Colposcopy unit may be closed over the long weekend but did you get a leaflet after with an emergency number on? It is usually the Gynae unit at the local hospital. It's probably better to call them for advice if you are still concerned. 

Do you have any pain? When I called the Colposcopy unit this was one of the questions they asked as this would point to an infection. Mine have just been a bit worse than normal period pains so she wasn't too concerned. 

Hope it eases off soon. Try and get some rest if you can. 

Take Care.

X

*preg ref*

Hi all,

I wanted to share my experience with you. I had the procedure done on Friday last week and had extremely heavy bleeding, it was just gushing out (sorry tmi!!). I ended up going to a&e they took me straight through and then I passed out from loss of blood, they put me on a drip to get some fluids back, but when the gyne looked at it he couldn't see where it was bleeding from! and said the site looked like it was trying to heal itself. This has just made me wonder after reading your posts if it was actually my period?! *pg ref* we have been ttc for a while and I was just waiting to find out if I was finally preg, literally that wkend, so im thinking my lining would have been very thick and wondered if that's why it all came out at once?!

im so confused.

mine is still bleeding at the momen, although no where near as bad, and they told me that was normal for it to bleed up to 4 weeks after.

i also had it done back in 2008 and distinctly remember the huge clot that fell out right at the end, I literally thought my insides had fallen out!! After that the bleeding had stopped completely.

hopefully this helps you all x

I was due on my period yesterday had lltezs on the 11th of march is it normal to have period late after having lletzs done xx

Yes, it's very normal, some ladies don't have one for few months after lletz, some have them earlier and more often, but after a few months say 2-3, Ur body will adapt to a new routine and your cycle will get back to normal. My cycle is much better now I had my lletz last year and period have been good since, shorter and lighter. Every woman is different, but because you've disrupted Ur cervix your body is just thrown abit off track and so to be late or maybe even miss this period is normal. Some women do, some don't. But if ur worried about poss being pregnant then don't wait to test as you normally would when late xxx

Hi I am new to this. Basically I had my smear and it came back I needed my cervix looked at. Had this done was told cin 3. The procedue was done June 30th. I had my period 3 weeks after which was correct. But now my period has not come this month. I was just wondering if anyone else has missed a period. Just worried. I'm really emotional and angry. My hormones have gone wild lol. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Seeing these posts has really helped me, had lletz 2 weeks ago and for the last 5 days I have been bleeding non stop, very heavy at times with a lot of pain the first day. period isnt due until Sunday so was very confused. Pain has eased to like a pulling cramping feeling but bleeding is still heavy and bright red! Was feeling very scared, feel slightly better now!

Abnormal smear march

biopsy may

CIN 3 cells found june 

lletz june 

Hey Noopie, 

glad to hear this thread helped you. It certainly helped me when I was going through it. Yes I think the bleeding will be the scab (hate that word) but yes the scab coming away. Bleeding is normal unless you bleed through a pad an hour more than twice, also really bad pain or smell can indicate infection. It will be red fresh blood, so dont worry too much. Good luck with your results xxx 

Hi ladies

just want to share my experience...its been two weeks since my lletz procedure and after the two weeks I experienced a period. Yes pure blood, menstrual cramping and of course sore boobs and emotions. I contacted my doctor explaining my happening and she said that I must not fret. If you're on the pill this might happen. So I am having a period due to medication they administered during the procedure as well as the effects of Diane 35. So it's basically like your body is going through break through bleeding due to hormonal occurrences. 

So if youre on the pill and it's been two weeks then you can expect things like this to happen. Our hormones do funny things while registering the happenings of medications focused on it, the body's response is normal. Hormonal workings due to medications and operations. I thought after I had a bath two weeks post lletz that I disturbed something. 

So if you are on the pill and had lletz...this may be the reason for period like break through bleeding.

good luck to all who have experienced lletz or are yet to go through with this procedure!

Hey everyone - in summary i've had my period twice now in the 4 weeks since ive had LLETZ. See below 

I had my LLETZ procedure for CIN3 just shy of 4 weeks ago. I have had a pretty rough time with my recovery, and I'm wondering if anyone out there is similar? 

Basically, a few days following my LLETZ (which all went smoothly) i got my period. It was pretty heavy but not too many clots, manageable for sure. I then developed a fever and sharp pains, and ended up on antibiotics for a suspected infection. The heavy bleeding from my period stopped after about 1.5 weeks, and then I continued to have light (more browny discharge) for another week or so. I was then blood free for approx 5-7 days. Yesterday I woke up with the most intense period cramps (i usually get bad ones - but this was on another level). It took a lot of pain relief to settle down. Then later that day the bleeding started, heavy bright red and lots of big clots! I am not filling a pad every hour or half hour, but I am concenred that I have been bleeding so much for the last month and it is quite distressing to see such large clots. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience after LLETZ? 

Thanks,
Chontelle 

Hey everyone - in summary i've had my period twice now in the 4 weeks since ive had LLETZ. See below 

I had my LLETZ procedure for CIN3 just shy of 4 weeks ago. I have had a pretty rough time with my recovery, and I'm wondering if anyone out there is similar? 

Basically, a few days following my LLETZ (which all went smoothly) i got my period. It was pretty heavy but not too many clots, manageable for sure. I then developed a fever and sharp pains, and ended up on antibiotics for a suspected infection. The heavy bleeding from my period stopped after about 1.5 weeks, and then I continued to have light (more browny discharge) for another week or so. I was then blood free for approx 5-7 days. Yesterday I woke up with the most intense period cramps (i usually get bad ones - but this was on another level). It took a lot of pain relief to settle down. Then later that day the bleeding started, heavy bright red and lots of big clots! I am not filling a pad every hour or half hour, but I am concenred that I have been bleeding so much for the last month and it is quite distressing to see such large clots. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience after LLETZ? 

Thanks,
Chontelle 

OH GIRLS THIS TREATMENT HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE FOR ME 

HAD MY RESULTS CIN3 AND WENT FOR MY TREATMENT LAST MONDAY WHICH WASN'T TO BAD ...NOT NICE BUT WE JUST HAVE TO GET ON WITH IT .EVERYTHING WAS OK UNTILL WEDNESDAY WHEN I WENT BK TO WORK (HAIRDRESSER) STARTED TO BLEED AND PASS LARGE CLOTS ..WENT TO BED AND IT GOT HEAVIER BUT I STILL THOUGHT OK WELL THIS IS JUST LIKE A HEAVY PERIOD ..WENT TO WORK AGAIN THE NEXT DAY WHERE I WAS CHANGING MY PADS EVERY 45 MINS. ENDED UP BEING RUSHED TO HOSPITAL THE CLOTS WHERE THE SIZE OF MY FIST AND THEY JUST KEPT COMING EVERYTIME I STOOD UP OR MOVED .THEY MANAGED TO STOP THE BLEED AND SENT ME HOME ..3 HOURS LATER I WAS RUSHED IN BY AMBALANCE AS IT STARTED TO BLEED AGAIN ..I SPENT 3 DAYS IN HOSPITAL AND HAD A BLOOD TRANSFUSION AS I'D LOST 50% OF MY BLOOD IN 24 HOURS .I'M HOME NOW AND RESTING UP ..I GOT MY RESULTD WHILE I WAS IN HOSPITAL AND NO CANCER ..I JUST HOPE MY NEXT SMEAR IN 6 MONTHS WILL BE FINE AS I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN . NOT LOOMING FORWARD TO MY NEXT PERIOD EITHER X

Hi everyone. 

This conversation has put my mind at ease. So thank use all.

january the 10th I got my smear results back, cin3. The local nurse called me with the results, was booked in to see consultant on the 14th. Had the LLETZ, left feeling a bit fragile and uncomfortable. For the last 2 1/2 weeks I’ve had a yellow brown discharge, using about 2/3 pads a day (sorry tmi) then this morning, I started bleeding really heavy, blood clots, uncontrollable. Yesterday i had to come home from work due to having sever stomach cramps. I usually get slight cramps and sore boobs when’s due. Didn’t have the sore boobs, not due my periods either. I’ve had to double up my pads to get me through the night (sorry more tmi) 

reading this thread has put my mind and ease and stopped me from freaking out. Thank you ladies. 

Still waiting on my results, so fingers crossed.