Pathway

Last year my smear was HPV positive so just had 12 month follow up. Nurse was lovely but she said she had to refer me because my cervix had bled profusely on contact. She said that is a red flag. I’m 50, have had the mirena coil for 4 years due to heavy periods and so only get occasional bleeding so may be in the menopause but I do sometimes bleed after sex. Also constant lower back pain for months. Apparently there was too much blood to take swabs so nurse spoke to doctor who said not to wait and to refer straightaway . The nurse read her notes out loud as she was writing them and said “urgent referral for suspected cervical cancer.” I was so shocked I didn’t ask any questions, has this happened to anyone else? Desperate to know what will / could happen next…one minute I decide it’s nothing to worry about and the next I’m terrified. Bleeding has stopped from smear but still having really bad period pains which I’ve not had since I had the coil fitted.

1 Like

Hi @Elsa,

I’m sorry you are in a panic, I know exactly how you feel. Wow that was very similar to what I experienced, I had watery discharge and some occasional bleeding, no cramps or back pain, went to GP on 4/29 and when she did internal exam before smear, I started bleeding pretty bad, she tried swabbing too, but gave up and said I need to go see the gyno dr and get a biopsy, she said worst case could be CC. I too was shocked and booked an appt. which was going to be 3 weeks later, but I got them to squeeze me in. Then an hour before my appt 5/5, I started bleeding again, she had a hard time but got several biospy samples, said I had a tumor and she couldn’t get a uterus biopsy, and that I had CC. Dr called me on 5/13 that biospy result were positive for CC. Now have Pet CT scan and gyno oncologist set for June. Please go in right away so they can biopsy you, you may not have cc, but the unknown is worse, I just experienced it too. I still don’t know what my stage or treatment plan will be, but at least I know what kind of path is ahead, which is better then the terror/panic of not knowing. The ladies here are so knowledgeable and kind. Hoping someone else may have some insights for you. Wishing you well!

1 Like