Partner smokes - HPV

Hi all,

I am currently awaiting my second colposcopy after having CIN2 removed last year, and at my test of cure I have more abnormal cells and still HPV positive. 

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows the impact or has advice on being with a partner who smokes. He is a heavy smoker (10+ a day) and will struggle to quit. I stay away from him when he smokes as much as possible, but I assume he is HPV positive and will struggle to get rid of it due to the smoking. 

How does this affect me and my chances of getting rid of HPV? 

Hello bgc

I don't know the exact answer to this question and it may be useful to post on the Ask the expert section. You are probably aware that smoking is a risk factor for you and in my opinion it is inconsiderate if your partner is smoking in your home and therefore making you a passive smoker, especially if he also realises your cancer risk. Having said that, I have never been a smoker and nicotine is a very addictive drug so I possibly sound very judgemental. My 82 year old aunt smokes 20 cigarettes a day (£12 a packet!) and before lockdown when I still visited her inside her home used to smoke when I was there even though I told her I had been advised to avoid smoking (I haven't told her about my health scare). Her take on this was to tell me not to visit! So social distancing in gardens has advantages. My aunt is in denial about the effect her smoking has on others and possibly your partner is also in denial. Carrots are better than sticks in my opinion; could you ask your partner to at least go outside to smoke so that you are not passive smoking? Better still, could you persuade him to quit smoking for the sake of his own health as well as yours? Think of the money he could save! Apparently lots of people have quit smoking since the pandemic so this could also be a motivating factor. One thing is for sure; he must be the one who finds the motivation to quit. The NHS website has a support page for anyone who wants to quit smoking and a visit to the GP wouldn't do any harm. Does he smoke when he is stressed? If so, could he address the underlying stress issues? I eat chocolate when stressed even though I know I shouldn't because my cholesterol is high. I have invested in a book with  a 12 week plan to give me the motivation to tweak my lifestyle to keep my cholesterol as low as possible as without a plan and goals and rewards it's difficult to keep it up. 

I hope you manage to get somewhere with this. Take care

A

Thanks so much for this 55! 

The motivation is definitely key as the person has to want to do it so I might have to tread carefully to encourage him to quit - I don't want him to get his back up! Stress is a big factor, and we all have our ways of dealing with it. My partner can be very stubborn when it comes to change or seeing his GP so I think it might be a long road for him to see the benefits. We want to begin trying to conceive next year, so I'm hoping this might be the motivation he needs... my health doesn't seem to be a motivator at the moment! 

I will definitely ask the experts though like you said, so thanks for that recommendation.

Thanks so much for this 55! 

The motivation is definitely key as the person has to want to do it so I might have to tread carefully to encourage him to quit - I don't want him to get his back up! Stress is a big factor, and we all have our ways of dealing with it. My partner can be very stubborn when it comes to change or seeing his GP so I think it might be a long road for him to see the benefits. We want to begin trying to conceive next year, so I'm hoping this might be the motivation he needs... my health doesn't seem to be a motivator at the moment! 

I will definitely ask the experts though like you said, so thanks for that recommendation.

Glad I could help. Being as healthy as possible for both of you is s good motivator before you try for a baby. Hope you manage to get somewhere with this. 

A