Over 6 months post op... No check up!?

Hi lovely ladies

I hope you are all doing ok.
Signed in more to have a bit of a rant than anything… So I had my radical Trachelectomy on 10th July last year… I’ve seen my consultant since but he hadn’t had a look ‘up there’ yet… Before I was quite relieved. I was due to go for my first smear on 27th Jan but I’ve had a letter today moving me to the end of Feb.
That will be over 7 months post op!! Surely that’s abit of a long time? God knows how I’ve healed etc…
I’m going to call my nurse tomorrow and say I’m not happy.
Is this normal?! Am I being unreasonable … I know I’ve been given my “all clear” but surely they should be checking me clinically???

Hmmm rant over!!!

Take care you amazing ladies xx

The same happened to me, no one checked ‘up there’ for 9 months! They cancelled my 6 month appointment too. I was really angry and complained to the PALS service at the hospital.

Not much came of it, other than me letting off steam.

You should be seen every 3-4 months after a cancer diagnosis so make sure you shout about it if you aren’t.

Xxx

Rant away Em, I find that unacceptable!! They are meant to keep an eye on us for the next 5 years, don’t let them fob you off!

Jade xx

Hi Em,

Your right, you should call your nurse and let her know that you would like to be checked as per the guidelines.  Our ops were at the same time and I've had 2 vault smears and an MRI.  Whilst I worried when having the checks I would be more worried if I didn't have them.  So, dont be fobbed off.

xxxx

Hi Em,

Your right, you should call your nurse and let her know that you would like to be checked as per the guidelines.  Our ops were at the same time and I've had 2 vault smears and an MRI.  Whilst I worried when having the checks I would be more worried if I didn't have them.  So, dont be fobbed off.

xxxx

Sorry to hear that Em, that's not good enough!

It may be that as the area of concern has been removed, they're less anxious to check 'up there'? That's the only reason I can think of. What follow ups have other trach girls had?

I have 4 monthly smears after my cone. Next one tomorrow!

If you're not happy then say so.

Keep smiling x x

Definitely not good enough.

In the last year since my op i have been for 3 vault smears, an MRI and an ultrsound (lymphatic fluid is running riot apparently!)

I did have to ask for my MRI scan so dont be afraid to confront them about it

Such as same the levels of service in the NHS vary so much :-(

I had a radical trachelectomy at the end of 2012 and since then I have only had one vault smear. which was May 2013.  I have had similar issue to you trying to get appointments, then them being cancelled and getting the run around.  Its very stressful and just makes getting 'back to normal(ish)' that much more difficult when you have this extra worry. I had surgery to remove scar tissue in July 2013 and my consultant said he felt all looked normal.  In my head I cant help thinking that cells are not visible to the naked eye but he didnt carry out any other tests, I did ask about this several times.   

I was to have had another smear Feb 2014.   On a positive note I was unable to have a vault smear at my last appointment at the end of Feb because I am pregnant, they wont do smears during preganancy.  Obviously I am over the moon as we thought this might never happen, but it means I cant have another test until at least 3 months after the baby is born.

By that stage I will not have had any tests whatsoever between May 2013 and December/January 2015...very very worrying although nothing I can do so trying my best not to think about it!!

Keep pushing them its the only way.  

xx