One week post rad hyst with lymph remov

Hello All,

I've now has a week post op. Was in Hospital till Friday, and can't believe how hard I'm finding movement, & dealing with the catheter.  I'm not all doom and gloom,

im generally keeping positive, but I'm having good and bad days. I'm waiting for my biopsy results, to see if further treatment is needed. My best advice post op, is a body pillow, they're sp helpful in getting comfy. I'm living in loose clothes, & have my sexy stockings on for six weeks, so a cracking look going on. I'm making light of my catheter, but on day 7, it's quite uncomfortable, & does make me feel a bit low, especially when I have visitors over, I'm so aware of it. 

Some of my nerves were caught in the op, so I have lost all feeling in the right side of my thigh and pelvis area, which is very weird. Surgeon, said can take months to come back, luckily it still works okay.

Peppermint tea, has been my saviour with wind! Nausea is really bad, so when you leave, ask for anti sickness, because when you start eating again, it does have an impact.

I'm overall very happy, and positive with how I've been treated, but I'm slowly realising the enormity of why I had the op, & that's scary. Silly but it's the only time, it's really hit me, that I am a cancer patient. 

Hope other people are getting on okay, and I send much love. x 

Good to hear from.you. Did you have open surgery or keyhole? I was only told to.wear my stocking for 2 weeks. Totally understand the feeling about the catheter, I had mine for 10 days and lived in maxi dresses. Luckily bladder worked okay when it came out but 2 weeks later I still feel discomfort on passing urine. I also have some areas of numbness on leg and tummy, most peculiar sensation. I got the all clear 2 weeks post op so hopefully you won't have to wait too long. 

The wind is horrific, still giving me trouble. Thankfully I didn't have any nausea after the first 24 hours. But I've only just stopped using lactulose as had few issues there. I still find it unreal that I've been a cancer patient. Luckily I can now say I've had cancer, rather than I've got cancer. But still a way to go on recovery. I feel exhausted all the time, and am honest enough to know I'm doing too much. But it's hard when I can see how much my husband is struggling keeping everything going. It's starting to impact on our relationship I think, though he's really been so supportive. 

Sorry, I've made this about me rather than you now, was trying to sympathise really but I'm having a miserable day. Think I'm going to put my trainers on and go for a walk.....

So glad to hear you're doing okay though xx

It's a very weird situation isn't it. My partner is being brillant but I'm missing my two younger children ALOT. They're at Nanna's being spoilt but its hard without them. My 15 year old is struggling with My limitactions but helping. 

Mum goping to get tge catheter out Thursday, if all is well. I was told I needed to keep stockings on for 6 weeks, and i have to self inject for three more weeks, which is not pleaseant. My biggest worry is, If there any spread...I'm hoping so much it will be all clear but I'm also prepared for further treatment, hence why my ovaries have been moved up in to abdomen. 

Blackberry, you must take it easy, it's short term and you will be able to do little things to show him how much he is helping x 

hi Sylvia

I have been thinking of you. The first week is definitely the hardest and then after that it does get a bit easier. I have to wear the sexy stockings for 6 weeks. I tried to ask nurse who visited me (thought I had infection but it was ok) would I be ok after a couple of weeks without stockings and she was very strict about it so I am getting used to them. 

I definitely have over done things especially this weekend and in fair bit of pain today I think because I over did it walking and bending getting toys under sofa etc. Naughty I know. 

Really hope you both feel better soon. I think the physcologicAl effects take a longer time to heal so be kind to yourselves. Hope results are good for you Slyvia keep in touch xxxx

hi Sylvia

I have been thinking of you. The first week is definitely the hardest and then after that it does get a bit easier. I have to wear the sexy stockings for 6 weeks. I tried to ask nurse who visited me (thought I had infection but it was ok) would I be ok after a couple of weeks without stockings and she was very strict about it so I am getting used to them. 

I definitely have over done things especially this weekend and in fair bit of pain today I think because I over did it walking and bending getting toys under sofa etc. Naughty I know. 

Really hope you both feel better soon. I think the physcologicAl effects take a longer time to heal so be kind to yourselves. Hope results are good for you Slyvia keep in touch xxxx

Hi folks!

i am glad to be joining the post-treatment thread, to have surgery behind me and to be focussing on recovery. I researched the stockings last night, I took mine off after a week as I can't remember what anyone said. I read the NICE guideline and I suspect that we all have different advice either because we have individual risk factors or because the NICE guidance is vague. It says they should be worn if you:

• have had or are expected to have significantly reduced mobility for 3 days or more or

• are expected to have ongoing reduced mobility relative to their normal state and have one or more of the risk factors shown in box 1. [2010]

as it is prophylactic and individual risks are not known it probably explains the variety in advice. I could not find anything on whether the injections also decrease the risk. Haha I love research! The consultant said to the junior doctor the other day 'treat the patient not the blood report' about my antibiotics and I could have kissed him.

happy recoveries folks - my numbness was bad yesterday, catheter for another week, swelling getting me down as pants just dig in - I hear this could last for months so will need new clothes. Hmph!

x Mitch

Hi Mitch :-)

Welcome to Post-Treatment Dept. :-)
I ended up pretty much with a whole new wardrobe! :-) Embrace it, you can reinvent yourself as whatever/whomsoever you'd like to be :-)
Be lucky :-)
Tivoli 

Thank you all for comments. It's weird to think, I'm now back in the treatment side of things. Chemotherapy & Radiotherapy are coming up now but I have had three mini melt downs so far, then I seem fine, but I am still grit.