Normal smear but abnormal cells

Hello, I don’t really know where to start! When I was 20 weeks pregnant with my daughter the doctors done a speculum and found something on my cervix (I’d just turned 25 and was pregnant so couldn’t have a smear). I was referred to gynaecology who said it looks like pre cancerous cells but there was nothing they could do until the baby was born. When the baby was born 3 months later I could have my smear which came back normal… 2 weeks ago I had to go for another colposcopy to check my cervix as a follow up and they’ve found abnormal cells. I had a biopsy and I’m still waiting for results. It’s making me feel sick, I don’t understand why my smear was normal and I’m dreading the results. Has anyone had anything like this?

1 Like

Hi @brittani

Smears arnt always 100%, nowadays they check the sample for HPV first and if that is positive they check for any abnormalities, if the HPV test comes back negative they wont go any further and give a clear smear result… as with all tests on rare occasions you can have a false negatives and false positives, its most likley the smear gave a false negative or it was misreported xx

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’m in a similar position, had my colposcopy today due to ongoing bleeding but my last smear was fine. They found abnormal cells so have sent off biopsies. They said it’s really unusual to have abnormalities when hpv negative. Good luck! Hope you hear soon & get good news x