Next steps post LLETZ - What to choose?

I am looking for someone who understands to speak too, I was recently diagnosed with Stage 1 Cervical cancer. I had 2 LLETZ treatments + scans and have now been told the LLETZ successfully removed the cancer, I had to wait over 8 weeks for this news, and feel it has mentally traumatised me! I have now met with the oncologist and on top of cervical cancer I have endometriosis and adenomyosis, so they feel the best plan would be a hysterectomy, as I do not want children. Even so, this feels like a huge decision, as my current other option is to have smears every 6 months for 18 months and then yearly for 10 years. Both options to me, aren’t great and I would love to talk to anyone who has gone through the same?

1 Like

Hey I hope you’re ok - I’m in a bit of a similar situation. I had a biopsy following an abnormal smear test and they found ade. cancer. Following a MRI scan and Lletz I was told last week that I’m now clear and the cancer was at 1a1.

I had to wait 5 weeks for my results and it was extremely tough - 8 weeks is so hard. I feel very lucky that it’s been caught and treated but my anxiety is really not great at the moment.

I have to have an appointment in a few weeks time to discuss preventative options but monitoring or hysterectomy has already been mentioned briefly to me. I’m 34 and have an 11th month old and I feel like I’m going to have to make a big decision soon.

Only you will know what’s right for you obviously with the advice from the professionals but I’m here if you ever want to chat things through x

Hey Jen, I would love to chat more, I have actually come on from this and have had another conversation with my Oncologist, where there was a miscommunication. I do indeed need a hysterectomy - it just depends of which type we are looking at. I am about to have a call with my Gynecologist and then will see my oncologist again next week to discuss further steps.

The anxiety is not great and its safe to say I do not feel good mentally, I hope you are doing ok with a little one as that is a lot!

Here to chat if you want x

Hey thanks for messaging back :). I hope your call went ok and it’s good you don’t have to wait that long now to see your oncologist. Are you feeling ok about what they’re proposing?

Anxiety sucks and this really does impact mentally. You’ve got this though - you got through those 8 weeks of waiting - you can deal with anything I reckon!

I don’t know about you but I have ok days/times and then all of a sudden it will hit me and my emotions are all over the place.

Hope you’re able to find some calmer and easier moments x