Newly Diagnosed, Stage 3b + hydronephrosis

Last week I went to the emergency room after experiencing intense stomach pain and vomiting. They found a large mass in my pelvis that was putting pressure on my kidneys, causing them to back-up, and I was in acute kidney failure. An emergency surgery was performed and my kidneys were able to be saved after having bilateral stints put in. The large mass turned about to be about an 8cm cancerous tumor. So far it doesn’t appear to spread to my lymph nodes (my PET scan is in 5 days) but because of the size and the hydronephrosis, I have been told it is 3b cervical cancer.

I met with my radiology team yesterday for staging and planning, and they were absolutely wonderful. I will meet with my oncology team early next week. The plan is for 6 weeks of radiation & chemo followed by 4 brachy treatments, which seems to be the gold standard. My first day of treatment starts Sep. 11.

I am feeling very positive about my prognosis and outcome. I am fairly young (41y.o.) and in good shape, albeit a bit thin. But I would love any tips or information anyone has to share on how to get your body ready for this grueling treatment my body is about to endure!

Wishing everyone here peace and hope today!
B

2 Likes

@FCLG5

Didn’t want to read and run without welcoming you to the forum.

I am glad to hear you are starting treatment so quickly. I am still 3 weeks in waiting to see an oncologist. Coming up to 2 months since I told I had CC Stage 3C. (Done my PET and MRI)

I am sure some lovely ladies will be around with some tips very soon. Personally, I’ve been moisturise my pelvis area more and getting used to drinking 3 litres of water a day.

Sending you all the hugs and warm and welcome to the club nobody wants to be part of.

Mena xx

2 Likes

I would agree drink a lot of water (coffee and tea does not count)! Especially during treatment. This will decrease any potential side effects, I had been advised back then not to take any vitamins and supplements during treatment. If you can do a COVID booster or flu jab do it now because you will not be able to do them when you start also keep in mind that your immunity will be non existent. You don’t want to get sick during treatment as it might cause complications. I hope all the best!

Xxx

Hi FCLF5,
Welcome to Jo’s Forum. You are in the right place. I’m so glad you are positive about your prognosis. It is a good thing and can help you navigate your way through your treatment. You are correct, 6 weeks of radiation and chemo followed by the brachy treatments is the gold standard in treating cervical cancer. While I didn’t have the hydronephrosis issue, i was diagnosed stage 3c in September of 2021. it was curious because I had never had a “bad” smear in my life, and I was good in getting checked every year. it had progressed to lymph nodes past the cervical tumor, and I was a bit taken back that it hadn’t been caught. My beautiful husband of nearly 43 years of marriage had died from a glioblastomas brain tumor in the brain stem just 7 months prior to my diagnosis, so I wasn’t really sure what to think. I was kind of “oh, well” but felt confident in my physicians’ hands. (To tell the truth, the grief I felt and still feel is so overwhelming, well past the cancer diagnosis.) The treatment was hard me; my oncologist said that it kicked my butt, but I came through it. I am in my second year of no evidence of disease. Getting prepared, I would eat well and keep your body moving in any way you can. Walking sure helped me, which was recommended to me by a cousin who fought breast cancer. She walked during her chemo treatments, and she said it really helped her body and her mind. There were days that I wondered what in the world was happening to my body, but I did have a lot of support from my friends who were not only taking care of me in many different ways since the death of my husband but looked after me during my treatments. DO ask for help when you need it, not only from your support group of family and friends but from your physicians and nurses. I am in the US and lucky enough to have a teaching research hospital where my gyn oncologist is, and two great physicians in my hometown that helped out - I would call and the nurses would call right back. Not every day is going to be easy but keep looking forward at the light at the end of the tunnel. Take good care of yourself and indulge in soft pillows, soothing lotions that your nurse will advise you to use during radiation treatment, and let people help you. I know it sounds so cliche, but we are stronger that you believe. If you look around this forum, you will find a lot of answers to questions and some information you hadn’t even thought of yet. I wish you great luck and hand in there. You can do this.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply, Mena. I’m so sorry you are having to wait to see an oncologist, I hope you’ve seen one now or have a date for when you will? I ordered a massive 2 litre water bottle that’s got a carrying strap and have just been lugging that thing around all day as I also try and get used to drinking so much water. Thanks for the warm welcome and sending you hugs right back.
B

1 Like

Thank you so much for the tip about the flu jab! I’m all caught up on my COVID boosters, but hadn’t yet had the jab for flu this year - will be getting it this week.

Oh my goodness, June6 you have been through it. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post and offer your advice and wisdom in the midst of your grief. I have kidney stents in both kidneys to keep my kidneys functioning until treatment is over and they are super uncomfortable all the time and painful a good deal of it, so trying to stay active since being released from the hospital 2 weeks ago has been a struggle, but I will take your advice to move my body in any way I can and keep up with my short walks.

1 Like