Newly Diagnosed after all clear at colposcopy

I'm 26 and I've just been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I'd noticed a problem a few months ago and saw my Doctor for a smear. Unable to do one because of the issues, I was referred. It took 8 weeks to be seen, and I had a colposcopy. During this, I was told I had a fibroid polyp but no abnormal cells and I'd be scheduled to have it taken out, but they'd take a biopsy anyway.

Two weeks later, I met with the surgeon. He told me that I had cervical cancer. As expected, I was a mess, especially after being told by him that I was misinformed at my colposcopy. I'm currently waiting for an MRI to determine if the cancer has spread over the past few months, and I'm terrified.

I've had to take some time off work and I'm trying to prepare myself for going back, but not sure how I can face my co-workers and having to tell them.

Anyway, I'm just looking for support from others in a similar situation and would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thank you.

Good morning.

im not quite in the same situation as it was at my colposcopy that I was diagnosed on sight alone! However prior to that I had three months of being messed around by the doctors in relation to my symptoms.  One doctor examined or allegedly examined my cervix and said it looked fine, on that basis she refused to do a smear and also lied to me about chabging my gyny referral to urgent.  She then missed a phone appointment with me (I'm so grateful she did now) and only when I saw another lady did she immediately take one look and get me a two week urgent referall for suspected cancer.

Also whilst waiting for my appointment at the hospital the first gp called and apologised and at the end of the call I quote said sorry for being rubbish! 

sorry rant over! I know it's not the same but I imagine like me ur finding it difficult to put ur trust in people after what u went through.  I was totally the same and dabbled with the  idea Of medical negligence etc. However I'm now just trying to focus my energy on getting on with things. Albeit a strongly worded letter is going to the doctor!!

im in a similar boat to yourself in terms of the process, I've had my scans and am waiting for my stage.  I go from calm to a mess in the blink of an eye.  I'm just trying to hope it's not spread and think that whatever it is I'll fight it and win however some days it's much more easier to think that way than others.

my heart goes out to u about the mix up u have faced and I know I'm the same wondering what has happened in my body whilst the gp was messing around, however I keep trying to tell myself that it's slow growing and that I feel ok and hopefully things will be fine.

ive managed to put my trust in the consultant however equally I call and chase everything up now, which has benefited me greatly as a few referrals didn't go through as urgent initially.  It doesn't help much but being persisant helped me claw back a bit of time and made me feel more pro active and in control.

its an awful time ur going through.  This site has helped me as everyone is really nice and supportive. Also I finding sharing my experience and offering support to others in turn helps me feel better.

i hope you get your results quickly, at the moment I'm torn between wanting them and wanting to hide under a big rock.

Kimmy

Ps

i took the first few days off work as I was emotional and glued to my phone.  I work in an office with ten people albeit part of a much bigger organisation.  I told my office who have been really kind and supportive.  I did that as I thought it would help explain the days where I'm being useless.

i think you should do what feels right for you but if your anything like me and get a bit emotional at times it's maybe better to tell your immediate colleagues so they can be there for you.

one thing I have found helpful  which was a tip from this site is to not tell all of your social circle. My best friends know but I haven't told others as it's nice to go out and just have a laugh feeling like your old self And not discussing the cancer.

i hope your work are supportive.

Kimmy

Ps

i took the first few days off work as I was emotional and glued to my phone.  I work in an office with ten people albeit part of a much bigger organisation.  I told my office who have been really kind and supportive.  I did that as I thought it would help explain the days where I'm being useless.

i think you should do what feels right for you but if your anything like me and get a bit emotional at times it's maybe better to tell your immediate colleagues so they can be there for you.

one thing I have found helpful  which was a tip from this site is to not tell all of your social circle. My best friends know but I haven't told others as it's nice to go out and just have a laugh feeling like your old self And not discussing the cancer.

i hope your work are supportive.

Kimmy

It's a very hard diagnosis to deal with, so thT alone is a struggle. I was told after my loop, that I had cin3 but not cancer & the loop treatment would be the end of it. However, when I was told how much more they had to removed for a biopsy, I thought, I need to have a bit of a prep in my mental state of mind. Though, nothing can compare you for those words. It's a very mixed up world, when you're waiting. I have my MRI on Monday, with an MdT after, so will hear next week, but I'm scared stiff. Then other days, I wake up like rocky! i wish you lots of love & this is a great support group for you. x

Hello Hani :-)

It certainly is a scary old time you are facing just at the moment. It isn't always possible to tell at a colposcopy if what they are looking at is actual cancer cells so try not to be too hard on them. They took a biopsy to make sure and that is the only way for definite that they can tell whether or not the cells are cancerous.

I would like to reassure you that it is very unlikely to have spread in the timescale you are talking about. To give you a comparison, when mine was seen it was really quite large. They were pretty sure that it was cancer but had to take a biopsy anyway just to be absolutely sure. Even though it was already that large it still hadn't spread to anywhere life-threatening :-)

If you don't feel up to facing your colleagues you don't have to, and even if you do feel it is necessary to return to work you don't have to tell them that you have received a cancer diagnosis. You can shut them up with a simple 'it's personal' until such time as you are ready to divulge more.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Sylvia 

just wanted to say hope everything goes ok next week.

i think my MDT thing is on was so I'm hoping to know albeit like you say I'm scared to death.

Kimmy

Hi Kimmy

I also was diagnosed with CIN3 but through bbiopsy they found CC but i must admit the waiting is definitely the worst between scans are the worst  but once you get your treatment plan and stage you do deal with igit. 

Chris

Thank you for your comments and advice guys. It's good to chat to people with similar experiences. At the moment, my family are just awkward around me and I'm getting messages from relatives I don't even see. I've oonly told my boyfriend and two closest friends at the moment, I'm not ready to discuss it really. My manager at work knows, but I'm keeping it to just him. After my results I think I'll try and go back, see how it goes.

I have my MRI tomorrow. Can I ask what an MDT is? All I know is that I have this tomorrow and should get to see my Doctor by the end of the week. I hope things go well for others in terms of tests and whatnot. The waiting is just the worse, I just want to move forward! 

It really helps to know I can talk to other folk on here though, so I'm glad I came along. Thanks guys.

Hi Hani

the waiting is awful, I actually felt better once I started getting scans and stuff as I at least felt something was happening.  The MDT is a multi disciplinary team.  The way my consultant explained it to me is that experts in various fields will sit down with ur biopsy and scan results then come up with what stage you are and the proposed treatment plan.  I think there is someone from gyny, oncology, pathology, radiology etc.

others prob have a better idea of what it is but I think that's it roughly.

i think my one is on wed so really nervous as not sure how or when I will hear the outcome.

i hope ur MRI goes ok and you hear things soon.  I don't know what else is yet to come but I think this must be one of the hardest bits becuase you don't know what your facing or how you will fight it.  Hopefully by next week we will know and we can start fighting!! 

Kimmy

Hi Kimmy,

Thanks for that info, it's very helpful. It's all a bit of a blur atm and I don't feel very well informed. I've been told I should be seen by my Doctor later in the week for results after tomorrow's MRI though, here's hoping! 

The main things going through my head atm are how this is going to affect my future. I'm 26 and me and my partner were hoping to start a family in the next few years. So that's a huge thing to me, that it might be off the table. My nurse has told me that they will bear my age in mind when considering options, but obviously it's difficult until we know what stage I'm at etc.

It's all just such a whirlwind after thecolposcopy, I had two nurses and a doctor tell me they were confident it was a harmless fibroid growth, then when I went back there was do doubt that it was cervical cancer. I've been on a few of the boards and have no idea what a lot of people are talking about, so I'm hoping I start to understand soon.

Thanks again for messages, here's hoping we know what's going on in the next week or so! 

Hani,

Just to say I too am awaiting results from MDT on Wednesday (thanks for getting that explained, I didn't know what it stood for either!) and I guess will get staging on Weds but Dr has not mentioned staging at all. I've realised that the Drs are very competent and work thoroughly through steps to ensure everying is covered and risks are minimised, so I hope you can feel confident that from now on everything is going to go smoothy. I've not got fertility concerns but my Dr mentions it all the time, there is a lot of sensitivity about it at my gynea cancer unit and I hope yours is the same. The waiting is really hard, also do let the staff know if you need more support - my GP said it's fine to ask for anything you need and important so that you are treated as an individual. Best wishes to you as you wait xxx

My heart goes out to you girls just getting diagnosed. It's a very scary time. You will get through it. Believe that. X

Hi HanI I went over to clatterbridge for my treatment as liverpool women's don't have the treatments there can I just say clatterbridge is a really lovely hospital and the staff do an amazing job there hope all gos well for you big hugs xx