Newbie with a few quesions

Hi Everyone,

Stumbled across this site after searching for some answers to a few questions I have, sorry if this is a bit long, but I know I will feel better if I get it off my chest.

I have recently moved and one of the registration elements of my new GP practise is that every femal has to have a smear carried out when joining. As a lady with PCOS I am used to being prodded and poked and have no shame so agreed to have one on 16th May, even though I only had one in January which was normal.

During my smear the Nurse was unusually quiet, and after having my legs akimbo and poking around and having a good look down there she announced that she needed a longer speculum "to make sure we get a good sample" I didn't think any more of it until I got the letter with the results saying that I had severe dyskaryosis and to call the hospital to book in for a Colposcopy.

The following morning I rang the hospita on the dot of 9am and when I told them who I was the lady said "Ah yes, we need to get you in as soon as possible, can you come in on Monday?" Obviously I said I could and then put the phone down. I tried not to think about it all day and to a certain extent succeeded, until I got a call from my GP at 1pm asking me whether I had received my results, to which I replied I had and that I had an appointment on Monday for a Colposcopy. He replied "that's good" and pretty much ended the conversation.

As soon as I put the phone down from him my mind went into overdrive... "Do they know something they aren't telling me?" "Did the nurse see something when she was doing my smear?"

I then went for my Colposcopy on the Monday, the Gynae I saw explained what was going to happen and asked me whether I would like treatment before I even got in the chair. I agreed for him to do whatever was neccessary and let him get on with it. He did LLETZ/Top Hat.

After the procedure he showed me the CHUNK he had taken out, it was pretty big, waaaay bigger than I was expecting and was a weird colour. I went and got dressed and sat with the nurse who asked if I had any questions. By this point I just wanted to go home so I said I hadn't and left with a leaflet.

I have been pretty lucky from what I have read. Since the procedure I have not had any pain, nor bleeding, just a slight reddish-pinkish/brownish discharge and I am now eagerly awaiting the results.

My questions are (I don't know if anyone can answer them)

How long did it take you from getting your smear results to getting in to have your colposcopy done?

Did your GP call to check you had had your results?

Is treatment usually offered before a Dr has even seen it?

Can they tell just how bad the changes are from the smear alone? Is this why everything has happened so quick? Because they are bad and they know but aren't telling me?

I know this sounds really silly but I have now worked myself up into a right state thinking that its a big conspiracy theory and that I have cancer and that the Dr's know and aren't telling me.

If anyone can give any advice it would be much appreciated!

Yve

Hi there,

I can understand how worrying this time is, and what it's like to have questions. I'll try to answer as far as I understand and from my experience...

How long did it take you from getting your smear results to getting in to have your colposcopy done? When I was first sent to colposcopy the appointment was less than 2 weeks from my smear result.

Did your GP call to check you had had your results? When I had my first abnormal result my GP called me before I received the letter, which I have to say I appreciated. This may depend on doctors surgeries, but I'd say this is an example of a good GP practice.

Is treatment usually offered before a Dr has even seen it? Yes it can be. Many clinics are 'see and treat' which is a good thing as saves you going for one colposcopy and then returning for a second after they've done biopsies.

Can they tell just how bad the changes are from the smear alone? Is this why everything has happened so quick? Cell changes can't be seen by the nurse, but the pathology from the cells removed during the smear showed severe dyskaryosis which is CIN 3. Some types of CIN can go back normal but that's unlikely to happen with CIN 3 so they do remove it, usually quite qucikly. CIN numbers refer to the thickness of the cervix that has changes eveident but CIN is not cancer.

When you mention the colour, it's worth bearing in mind they stain the cells with acetic acid which makes then go white. They'll send that sample off to the path lab to check they've removed it all, they look for clear margins as usually remove some health tissue as well the affected the area. Also the majority of women who have LLETZ never any further problems so that's important to remember too, although I appreciate it's hard not to worry.

Hope you're doing ok, take ok x

Just to add to what has already been said, I think it is a natural reaction to think that there is a conspiracy going on and that they just dont want to tell you bad news, I have been through exactly the same thing and know just how you feel, take it from me that road leads to madness, you will only really know what is going on once the results are in and the waiting  is the hardest part, but you can get through it. I had my colpo within 2 weks of my smear result and was told I would need treatment that day, before they had even had a look, so yes that does happen. 

Niki