Newbie chemotherapy concerns

Hello ladies. 

Firstly I'd like to thank all of you who post your questions and concerns, and all of you wh reply with your experiences, knowledge, and support. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, and I truly think this forum is the only thing that has kept me sane so far. 

I found out on Monday that I have adenocarcinoma stage 3c. A PET scan last week showed some inconclusive nodes (2 para aortic and 1 rectal) that are of concern for my team, so I am about to start an aggresssive treatment next week. I'm starting with 3 or 6 rounds of carboplatin and taxol, then chemorads including brachytherapy, then potentially a hysterectomy when all of that is done. I was told that I'd be feeling quite crappy for the next year or so, but that we would be able to get rid of the cancer. A bit of good news with the bad. I'm just relieved things are starting to happen as I was left alone to stew over things for six weeks since being told I had cancer.

I have about a million questions that have come up since my consultations on Monday. I know I will lose my hair, and this is very upsetting to me. I've ordered some nice headwear online, and will deal with this the best I can when it happens. It is out of my control, which is hard enough for me at the best of times. I've already picked up the anti-nausea meds, the stool softeners and the Imodium.  I'm doing the best I can to prepare now, so I can allow myself to feel horrible right from the start if that's the way it's going to go for me.

I was also warned about sores in my mouth and was told to rinse with a baking soda slurry.  For any of you who have had this, did you only start to rinse when the sores appeared, or did you do it from the start to try to prevent the sores?  

Because my tumour is large (10.5 cm), I have had cramps since January and bleeding since March. If anyone experienced anything like this, how long into treatment will these ease?  Up until now, Advil has been my best friend, but I was told I have to stop taking it. 

Though everyone's situations are a little different, this forum has made me feel less alone. Thanks in advance for any support and advice. 

I have  stage  3b  i had  chemo rads n brachy i am waiting 4 my scan  next  month  when  i was  diagnosed  i  needed bilateral nephostomys in  as my kidneys  were  struggling  i  still have  1 nephostomy i still  have  days were  i get  really sleepy  but  i am getting  loads  better  as  the weeks  go on. My bleeding  started in the  august n pain which  they  said my kidneys  caused most  of it i was  diagnosed  3 days before  Xmas the  chemo  team will give you anti sickness  meds  to  bring  home  n they  give u  some just before  ur chemo i onli  used 2 or  3 at home thou i wud  say  rest when u can big hugs  xx

Hiya

I didnt have the first lot of chemo mix you are having so dont have the experience of losing hair,but there are many ladies on here who will jump in with their advice. I had chemorads and brachyThe mouthwash I was told to do it 3 times a day from day 1,never had any mouth issues so I guess it works. I never really had any huge issues with treatment either,was never sick once but I think that was because I took the anti sickness pills no matter what. You will get bowel trouble tho,but your team will sort you out with meds for that too. Dont be shy at telling them if a certain pill isnt working for you,they will get it right for you. Keep drinking plenty of water,that is really important. You will feel soooooo tired a lot of the time,so sleep when you want to,dont fight it. Steroids will keep you awake for days too,thats a pain but it will all be worth it in the end.

Keep checking in on here too,you will have loads of questions and theres always someone here with an answer. Keep strong

Tracey x

Helpme and Tracey, 

Thanks so much for your replies. Your advice and encouragement calmed a lot of my anxiety. At least for now :) 

Helpme, I'm so glad you are starting to feel better after all you have been through. And Tracey, thanks for the advice - I will be diligent with the anti-nausea pills, the mouthwash and the hydration. Fingers crossed that I won't feel quite as bad as they warned me I might. 

Everyone here  will help as  much  as they  can x

Hi Daisy

I am starting the chemo mix for a recurrence in a few weeks so keep in touch on here and we can help each other with tips and to see how we are getting on.

I have ordered some "Udderly Smooth" cream from Amazon which apparently can help the funny feelings in hands and feet chemo can give you. Skin dries out so a moisturising shower gel maybe too.

If I were you I would try to get ahead of symptoms so use the mouth stuff beforehand and see how you get on. I am going to order a particular brand of mouthwash I think.

I purchased a wig last week...it's nicer than my own hair so that's something I guess :) 

Cara xxx

Hi Cara,

I had to laugh at your comment about your wig being nicer than your hair. I really have quite horrible hair myself, and no doubt a wig would be an improvement! Even knowing that, I haven't been able to get myself to a wig store to take a look. I have an appointment to get my hair cut short on Monday, so that's my first step. One step at a time, I keep telling myself. Probably just a way for me to feel a little bit in control.

Thanks for the tip on the Udderly Smooth lotion. I see it in the stores everywhere but have never tried it. I will pick some up next time I'm out. 

I go in on Monday to get a PICC line inserted, then have my first treatment Thursday.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

I'm terrified and relieved all at the same time. 

Well I figured I might as well get the hair I've always wanted ha. Good luck with the haircut,I know it's a scary thought. 

I hope it goes as well as it possibly can for you...I'll be thinking of you. 

Cara xxx

I went through that chemo and didn't really have any issues. I drank minimum  2 litres of water a day, took cod liver oil which is good for the skin and also used coconut oil. The coconut oil really helps the scalp as well. The other ladies nailed it by saying take the anti nausea meds even if you feel well. I didn't experience mouth sores so I don't have wise words on that.

When my hair started falling out it was quite traumatic even though I knew it was coming. We threw a party and invited a hairdresser who shaved mine and 7 other's heads. I didn't wear a wig or hat, I decided to rock the bald!

Best of luck ❤❤

hi

ive had the chemo mix and the ladies on here have said it all 

i had the mouth sores as noone told me about them so was prescribed a mouth wash from the gp but opted to use cordysl which helped me massively 

i also had a high fiber diet 3 days before chemo and for 4 days after so i didnt suffer from the constipation im afraid the chemo mix is a trial and error chemo you get one side effect sorted and something crops up at the next round of chemo so any advice need ask away 

i do know that its a grueliing chemo but it is doable be prepared to make it all about you rest when needed dont be to hard on yourself if things are not getting done another words if you cant get out of your pj's or you havent moved off the sofa youve earned the right to be resting 

stock up on magazines books if your a reader box sets crosswords even wool if you knit lol  as the next 5 months are classed as take it easy months 

keep posting 

stay strong 

onwards and upwards

love michelle xx