New worry, blood in urine

Last week I noticed blood after having a wee, I was totally freaked out as I wasn't totally sure where it was coming from at first, but over a while I realised it was in my urine, it doesn't happen all of the time and not every day but I've never had this before and I have now been discharged from the hospital so I was feeling hopeful but this has just set me back. Has anybody else had this problem? 

Mel xx 

Hi Mel, 

I have been researching this recently as I have microscopic blood in urine (only seen through microscope or urine dip tests). Visable blood in urine is also called haematuria. I have radiation cystitis just confirmed on a recent scan and this is causing it. A uti could also cause blood in urine. I have purchased urine dip test strips, 100 in a box and easy to read. The ones I got are 10 parameter ones so they test for 10 different things: protein, blood, ketones, ph levels etc. They are a quick reassurance for me that I do not have an underlying water infection that I should be getting treatment for. Obviously my first point of call was letting my gp/oncologist know so they could decide whether it was something that needed looking into. From what I've read it looks like haematuria can start as late as 20 years after cancer treatment. Their are treatments available depending on the severity. Ring your gp or you could ask the expert on this website to see what they advise. Let us know how you get on. 
x Maria

Hi Mel 

I also had 2b but finished treatment in 2016 and have had blood in urine since 2017. It's not every day but at least every few days. 
My oncologists are aware of it and diagnosed me with radiation cystitis back in 2017. 
I also had a minor surgery in 2018 to "freeze" the bleeding bladder wall. Sorry I cannot remember what the procedure is called but essentially that's what my oncologist said they were doing. 
It very likely could be radiation cystitis. 
Please contact your doctor. Even though you have been discharged I am sure they will check it out. Better to of course just rule out anything. 
Do let us know how you get on. Here for you 

xx

I had severe blood in urine, was hospitalised , had a cystoscopy under anasthetic, they found a tinyblood vessel which was cauterised. Sent home, it started again!! Went back in they flushed lots of fluid through the bladder  and after 2 days i came hom, last thing the consutant said to me was drink plenty of lager!!!. about  6 months went by no problems, then blow me down there it was again!! urine red small clots etc. So I thought to myself, i know how to cure this. So I filled up 4 pint glasses with water, drank the first one went for a pee , bright red, drank the second one 20 minutes later went for a pee, less blood. half an hour later drank the third one, which was difficult to swallow got halfway down, went for a pee it was light pink. finished the 3rd one eventually went for a pee it was crystal clear!! It has remained so ever since and that was 5 years ago. Lesson learned water is your best friend drink plenty of it to keep flushing your bladder as it is weaker after radiation.

I had this today too! I am aware that it is a somewhat  common late effect, but I'm still bricking it! :(

I have been out of treatment since 2009! I have had late/long-term bowel problems, but never bladder (aside from going to the Loo 40 times/day :o ).

Of course, I contacted my Oncologist and likely will have to go to Hospital next week for tests. I'm dreading going to Hospital during this poxy Covid19 pandemic though! :o

I hope it's just radiation damage. Even this long since treatment, I still worry about cancer coming back to ruin my life. :(