New Timers please read!

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know I recently had my first smear test (just turned 25) and I haven’t had the best experience (although I know mine doesn’t compare to some peoples).
I just wanted to send out a bit of reassurance for anyone who was in my position and has no idea what is going on and is scared as hell!

I had my first routine apt and waited 2 weeks for my letter… The letter came and confirmed that I needed to attend a colposcopy as i had low grade changes and HPV positive. Now my mum doesn’t live in the country and I have to say the way the letter was “don’t call us we will call you” I think was appalling!
I had to wait 2 1/2 LONG WEEKS for my appointment to come through and then ANOTHER 4 until it actually came around!
Now I have to say I went through waves of “it’s nothing don’t worry about it” to blind panic! To the point where I made myself physically ill with worry and ended up back in the drs due to severe stomach cramps.

When I visited the Drs i have to say the male dr i saw was amazing! This was my first bit of reassurance as the letter tells you next to nothing.
He went through what was going on and what to expect and it was like a switch had been turned off with my pain!

Anyway I had my Colposcopy which i have to say was daunting but it was no where near as bad as what I thought, I had 2 LOVELY nurses in with me reassuring me (even held my hand) whilst explaining everything that was going on and what was next.
I had 2 biopsies taken and was sent on my way (still none the wiser) yet with Christmas only days away I managed to box it up!
4 weeks later and I still hadn’t received a letter so I decided to phone, the lady I spoke to instantly told me I would not need any further treatment and only an annual smear test as the chances are this will have gone in a years time.

I cannot tell you the relief I felt when I was told this and I continue to keep my fingers crossed for the next test.

I wanted to share my experience with you and to hopefully set some minds at rest as I wouldn’t wish this long process of waiting on anyone.
My process from start to finish was 9 weeks and it was genuinely the longest of my life.

I hope I have given someone (even if its just one person) a bit of comfort and I hope the best outcome for you all!
I also want to thank all of you who have supported me through this horrible time and I feel this forum is amazing!!

X

Hi Dionne,

I'm so glad to hear that you have had happy news at last. I don't normally pop into this forum but I spotted your title in the 'Latest posts' section and was curious. I'd just like to add for the help of others in this forum reading this post that in all probability, had your original smear results been more worrysome than low-grade, I expect you may well have had a shorter wait. It's probably fair to say that those with high grade or severe changes are at greater risk and are moved up the queue. Therefore, if you are new to this, take heart from the words 'Low Grade' and try not to work yourselves into a state of panic.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Dionne

I am having one of those anxious days so i am so glad to read that I'm not the only one! I am now on week 5 of waiting for biopsy results and I'm working myself up today! I know tomorrow I will be fine as it just comes and goes. 

I have phoned the clinic and they said 6 weeks is normal to wait - I am just hoping that no news is good news!

My smear came back as high grade (severe) but at the colposcopy the Doctor said he couldn't see anything to worry about but took 2 biopsies just to be on the safe side. He did say it would have to go to an MDT meeting as my smear came back abnormal but he couldn't see anything. 

I know I am probably worrying over nothing but it's the wait that is making me anxious! I'd be fine if I knew - I can deal with any treatment etc! I just can't deal with not knowing.

Thank you for your post! This forum is a Godsend for days like today!