New here & anxious: 2nd Low grade dyskaryosis / HPV positive result

Hi everyone… I had a smear test result two years ago which came back as low grade dyskaryosis / HPV positive. I’m 46 and this is the first time this has happened to me. We were in lockdown at the time and I was told I’d need to wait at least 6 months for a colposcopy appt. I suffer from severe health anxiety and in the end went to a private clinic through my health insurance. At the time the doctor who did it, told me I had nothing to worry about from what she could see…and took a biopsy. I came away wishing I’d asked more questions etc… but I was so relieved she didn’t see anything obvious that I very quickly forgot about it all. I had to chase my results and was eventually told it was all clear and I didn’t need to go again for another 3 years. Which I found strange but I went along with it. I then, after a year, continued to get letters inviting me for a smear… when I talked to my doc about this… they said it was because it was in the system and I could ignore it after the doctor telling me I could wait 3 years for another screening. Now 2 years on I decided to go for a smear as it was niggling at me… I have no symptoms. I got my results on Friday and they say exactly the same as 2 years ago - HPV positive / low grade dyskaryosis. Does this mean that it’s just stayed the same and not got worse and just not gone away by itself. Or could it mean there is something more sinister going on? I’m petrified… that I should have gone for a screening a year ago and that things may have developed. I’m so worried… I’m getting cramps in my pelvic area. Part of me knows this is my anxiety and part of me thinks there’s something horribly wrong. Similar experiences & reassurance would so much appreciated, thank you… Aimee xx

You sound just like me, i have been told i had hpv then i went back again for another smear and this one shows dyskaryosis.
I have been booked for a colposcopy under the 2 week wait and am having it done at.9am today and i am scared and cannot sleep.
I have been told if it is the same today low risk dyskaryosis i will be told to come back in another 12 months, not my normal 5 years for being over 50.
Someone else i spoke to has the same result too and she will be called back in 1 year. Xx

Hi Littleaim,

I think you need to be kinder to yourself. It does sound like you’ve had HPV for some time (perhaps even many years) but it’s only caused minor cell changes - the sort that may even be reversible without treatment. No-one wants HPV but about 80% of the sexually active (ever active) population is thought to have some variant of it. The important thing is that you go for regular monitoring when called, and don’t let it take over your life. At 46 you’re likely to be heading into the perimenopause, if not already, and you will find yourself getting all sorts of aches and pains and anxieties. Try not to add to them by imagining that a moderate result must actually be something bad - or it will start to affect your quality of life. We women have enough to cope with! X

Thanks for you reply @Jacks133 … so it’s very likely that they’ll just see the same as they did when I had my last colposcopy? i.e. nothing’s changed since then? I suppose I’m just worried as it’s been 2 years rather than the 1 year it should have been. I’ve also started my period today and have a lot more cramping than I normally do… I don’t normally have anything… so I’m worrying about that now too!!

Also, I think you’re right about the perimenopause! Thank you, Aimee x