New here and concerned.

Hi there,

I had my first smear when I was 24 which came back with borderline changes and HPV positive. At the time the nurse at my surgery said that lots of women test positive for HPV and it can come and go. I had to return for another smear 6 months later which was normal, followed by another either 6 months or a year later (can't remember!) That was also normal. I then went back to normal recall.

I've only recently realised that they only test for the high risk forms of HPV alongside a smear which has got me worried. The normal pathway if you have a borderline result and are HPV positive is to have a colposcopy, am I right? Not sure why I didn't have that? Is it right I'm on normal recall if I'm HPV positive with a high-risk strain?

It's been 2 years since my last smear and I've booked in for a private one at the end of the month when I'm mid-cycle. My mum has just had LLETZ for CIN 2 so it's brought things to the forefront and got me worried, although I know I should be reassured by two normal results.

Thanks for listening x

I should also say I'be been with the same partner for seven years and the HPV positive result came three years after we met. I guess that means the HPV is persistent?x

I have just spoken to my practice nurse and she was lovely. I should have negative smears yearly for ten years before going back on normal recall. Have one booked for next week at my doctors now so I don't have to pay for private.

hi im new too,im just about to have my second colposcopy and now decided to have a hysterectomy,what do u think?

Hi Thumper,

Welcome to the site :)

Sorry you've been confused by all this, which I'm sure has been stressing you out! I'm glad your practice nurse has managed to help you.

Hopefully your more regular smears will keep any cancer away for you :)

I just wanted to wish you good luck and let you know I have found the ladies on this site very helpful and even if they can't offer any advice they are here to offer you support which has definately made me feel better.

So keep positive and hopefully all will go well for you

Lisa x x x

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy 03/06/2013, still waiting for results...

Hi. This is my first time on and it seems like a good place to get some info.

I went to my GP on the 17th May with tummy ache, after an internal examination she referred me for a 2 week urgent suspected cancer referral. 

After waiting 14 long days and hearing nothing i contacted the Colposcopy Clinic who claimed they had'nt received the referral, which ment going back to my GP . I had to wait an additional 10 days to be seen !!! Waiting causes so much stress.

After another examination, which was'nt as bad as i thought, the nurse explained that all looked ok. I have a Anterior and Posterior Prolapse and she also found an Ectropion.  A smear was taken at the same time.  She would refer me to Gyne for the prolapse, but in the mean time dont worry an await an appointment.

I have received a letter to say. The results from the smear taken are abnormal, with low grade dysk and HPV is also evident. I will need to go back to the clinic, but there was no futher appointment with the letter.

Do i need to make this appointment myself?

Do i still need to keep the appointment with Gyne ?

Will all be treated together or is the prolapse an Ectropion seperate clinics from the abnornal cells and Hpv?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have'nt told any of my family so they think im just a bear with a sore head at the min!!

The colp appointment normally comes from the hospital in a seperate letter, if you havent heard anything soon I would call your gp to check. 

Yes, keep your gyne appt. it may be a different doc who will deal with this as gyne docs have specialties in deifferent areas. At your colposcopy its likley all they will be interested in is your cervix, my prolapse was noted but that was about it; on an up note though the colp was much more comfortable than my smear. I think that its a much better position in the chair with stirrups than the nomal flat couches that gps tend to have, my smear nurse struggled to find my cervix because of the prolapse but no trouble at all in the colp clinic. I had treatment for ectopian during a colposcopy as that was when it was discovered so maybe it will be the same for you but obviously different trusts work differently

Hi,

I'm new too.....in fact, this is my first post.

I have just had my second smear which showed mild diskaryosis and this time they tested for HPV which showed positive. 

I have not heard that they only test for High risk HPV as a previous reply to you states but now that has me worried. 

I have had no symptoms to speak of, no bleeding or spotting between periods, no pain during intercourse or anything else. 

As I too have been with my partner for some years, I am now probably irrationally pointing the finger at my ex as at least I have someone to blame then! :(

I am due to have a colposcopy and am terrified that I am going to be told I have Cancer and end up leaving my child without a Mum. All of the worst thoughts go through my mind but to be honest, just reading posts from others like yourself, makes me feel comforted and a lot more positive.

I am so VERY glad you have had two normal results, and hope I can hear the same soon.

Good luck to you, fingers crossed!

Smile

Hello EyeOfTheTiger

Welcome to the site

I, like yourself had no symptoms, but I had severe dyskaryosis on my smear.

Hopefully your colposcopy will show no sign of cancer, which is often the case.

But if it does turn out to be CC I just wanted to let you know that even if you are diagnosed with CC it can in some cases be treated quickly

I was only diagnosed with CC mid May and I got the all clear this week :)

Every person is different but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and there are a lot of great success stories on this site :)

So try to stay positive until you recieve your results (easier said then done I know)

Sending big hugs

Lisa x x x

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy 03/06/2013, Results: Cancer fully removed but CIN still present 20/06/2013, 3 monthly colposcopies needed

Also new to site-just looking for reassurance and information. Had 2 abnormal smears both with high risk HPV16, colposcopy biopsies taken and now option wait another year for further smear or have Lletz-would that suggest biopsy revealed just mild dyskaryosis so not drs not overly concerned? Going for Lletz having read the site as it seems biopsies don't always pick up changes and Lletz will allow whole area to be assessed. Letter was received friday and I have lletz booked for this Tuesday so I can't praise my local NHS highly enough-it seems the wait for results is the biggest time waster-4 weeks from colposcopy to invite to lletz!!

want to get this off my chest as had lletz today- my experience was really unlucky/ unprofessional.  Had speculum placed and then realised suction equipment wasn't working so had to remove speculum- painful and insert another- dr started work and obvious suction still not working- dr said cant see with all this smoke And another dr said nearly finished so carry on- then she started pointing on screen and advising what else needed to be done and important to remove in one piece- I then realised a trainee was performing the procedure- asked the nurse who confirmed- I hadn't been asked or informed and was in very vulnerable position with trainee doing a procedure  that she couldn't clearly see and being told to carry on with- I said I wasn't happy and then mentoring doctor tried to reassure me but confidence and trust completely shattered- asked for procedure to be completed by mentoring doctor which did happen. I feel so shaken by this and don't want to make issue of it in case I need to go back for further treatment. I just hope no unnecessary damage has been done and that the correct tissue sampling has been taken. Know it is every day work for the drs but it is my body placed very vulnerably in their hands and  my trust was broken by failure to check their equipment and failure to get my consent to be used for training purposes. now written hopefully will put behind me!

want to get this off my chest as had lletz today- my experience was really unlucky/ unprofessional.  Had speculum placed and then realised suction equipment wasn't working so had to remove speculum- painful and insert another- dr started work and obvious suction still not working- dr said cant see with all this smoke And another dr said nearly finished so carry on- then she started pointing on screen and advising what else needed to be done and important to remove in one piece- I then realised a trainee was performing the procedure- asked the nurse who confirmed- I hadn't been asked or informed and was in very vulnerable position with trainee doing a procedure  that she couldn't clearly see and being told to carry on with- I said I wasn't happy and then mentoring doctor tried to reassure me but confidence and trust completely shattered- asked for procedure to be completed by mentoring doctor which did happen. I feel so shaken by this and don't want to make issue of it in case I need to go back for further treatment. I just hope no unnecessary damage has been done and that the correct tissue sampling has been taken. Know it is every day work for the drs but it is my body placed very vulnerably in their hands and  my trust was broken by failure to check their equipment and failure to get my consent to be used for training purposes. now written hopefully will put behind me!

Hi Brimps,

Really sorry to hear of the ordeal you had during your procedure. I think you were 100% right in asking for the mentoring Dr to finish the procedure. I would put a formal written complaint in to the hospital you were treated at. I think all patients should be made aware if a trainee will be carrying out the procedure.

My consultant performed my lletz himself as the first Dr said it was such a large area she felt more comfortable if the consultant would do the procedure! At least she knew when to hand over the reigns to someone more senior!

Hopefully you will not need to have the precedure done again, but if you do you should make them aware you had a bad time the previous time and that you want a qualified Dr or even your consultant to carry out the procedure this time.

I hope your results come back with good news

Sending big hugs, Lisa x

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy 03/06/2013, Results: Cancer fully removed but CIN still present 20/06/2013, 3 monthly colposcopies needed