New diagnosed Stage 1A2

hello 

here is my story 

November 2020 smear showing high risk HPV and borderline cell changes

December 2020 punch biopsies results came back with suspicious microscopic cells 

January 2021 Large Loop Excision 

March 2021 I met with my consultant and was told my results were Stage 1A2 Cervical Cancer, I kind of knew this was going to be the outcome but still it was a shock actually hearing it out loud, but actually having a diagnosis has made me feel better. The worrying & sleepless nights i have been through since I got the smear results letter in November has made me ill, not the cancer, the worrying. I am now waiting for my MRI to see if it’s spread but my consultant is hopeful she removed it all with the Lletz procedure. To get my head round this I am thinking, I had cancer, it got removed, the mri is a way of double checking. My case will get discussed at an MDT meeting next week, I have asked if I can have a hysterectomy, I’m 48 I don’t need those bits anymore. I’m scared I won’t lie, but I consider myself one of the lucky ones to get it caught so early. Xx

Hi I just wanted to wish you well and say i can relate to your worry. I was similar to you, diagnosed 1a1 but had already been removed by lletz. Terrifying being told you had cancer but good it was caught so early and removed. I also had an mri for reassurance and then a cone biopsy to ensure a good clear margin. That was all back in January 2015 and I just got my recent smear result, negative so back again in 12 months. Try and focus on the fact its been caught early and removed, i was ill with the worry, not sleeping or eating, so scared but its very easily treated when caught at such an early stage x

I am in this position too. Just been diagnosed with stage 1a1 cancer which looks like it's been removed by lletz. I'm waiting for an MRI to check but the consultant felt this was only a precautionary measure. Still worrying though. I feel lucky to have caught it so early but the cancer diagnosis is a shock. My margins weren't completely clear of CIN which is a bit of a worry although the consultant said this is not unusual and as the cancer was clear of the margins it's not necessarily a problem. Just needs to be watched.

Glad to hear yours seems to be resolved now Libby.

Glad to hear yours was caught early Kirsty Lou. I hope everything goes well for you over the next few months/ years with all the extra checks.

Xx

Hi ladies

Hope it's OK for me to come in on this thread; my own experience is very different (see my back story) but I am quite moved by the above posts.   I'm not sure what the numbers are but I reckon there must be many thousands of women in the UK who have had a similar experience to you ladies, most of who are spared getting invasive cervical cancer and all that entails.  I understand that a diagnosis even of a very small non-invasive cancer is traumatic and comes with a heap of concerns and what ifs, but even so how great is it that a cancer can be stopped in it's tracks in this way. 

I have done a lot of awareness raising about the importance of smear tests since my diagnosis and it's stories like yours that help keep me motivated to carry on doing that.

Hope everything works out well for you all.

x

1 Like

Last week, I found out that a Lletz procedure had removed cervical cancer. I was feeling really positive but today has changed my outlook. I have been told that it was 1a2 and I need a CT, MRI, possible lymphendectomy and a hysterectomy. I'm surrounded by loving family and friends but have never felt so alone. I'm Mam to two beautiful daughters aged 10 and 7. I don't want to die and leave them without a Mam... I'm probably overreacting but I don't know what else to think. 

Hi GGR814,

In February I had a standard lletz procedure to remove cin2 and cin3. Two weeks later I was called into the hospital to hear of my cancer diagnosis. It was a shock. All sorts of thoughts were going through my head. The worst being that I might leave my three beautiful children without a mum. However, I've now had all the scans and a further lletz treatment and have been told that all the cancer has gone. It's a relief. I still have the odd moment where the fear comes back to me but it's much better now. I'm feeling more grateful that it was caught early now rather than terrified about what might happen. It will get easier for you. Yours has also been caught very early so you really will be fine. Let us know how you get on.

Lots of love,

Xx

Jazza, I've read many of your posts on these forums. You're an inspiration! Xxxxx

1 Like

Hi @Dreamland new here, and same diagnosis, I had my leep done 4 weeks ago, and the dr found besides the Cin2 I knew, 1mm squamous cell carcinoma. based on the results, the margins of the carcinoma are all clean, however the CIN2 is focally detected in the endocervical margin. did you have another leep?

Hi Istage. That does sound similar to me. I had a second lletz. There were no further abnormalities detected on the second lletz. The doctors said that the cauterisation often destroys any remaining bad cells so that is likely to be the reason my second lletz was clear. I have had two further 6 month follow ups with no hpv and no abnormal areas detected. I was very happy with the treatment I received. Happy to answer any further questions. Lots of love, xx

MaY I ask you why the outlook changed? If the lletz came fine, what are the tests/scans the dr has made that shows the different outlook?