New and confused

Afternoon

I stumbled across this site last week and have been lurking since...im not a stalker i promise :)

Anyhow i saw my gp 2 weeks ago as i have suffered with cervical erosion for over 3 years (main symptom then bleeding during intercourse), my gp at the time told me to put up with it if i could.  So anyhow enough is enough and i saw my new gp and explained what i was told 3 years prior, I also told her my symptoms had changed slighting and that also i was bleeding more regulary when using the toilet (sorry tmi)anyway led to an internal examination of which she also took swabs (not sure what for and results would be back with 2-3 days).  She advised i needed to see someone in which i opted to go private as i could choose the appointments to suit.  A week after i recieved a letter from her saying my private appt was to long away and she had also reffered me to nhs for colpolscopy.  Now i have read on here about colposcopy appts and the procedure doesn't worry me.  What im a little confused about is what tests could she have done? my smear isnt due til Januray and she said its unlikely these are brought forward, so i know it wasnt that.  Would she have been able to see anything to make her refer me to colposcopy, i.e cell changes or lumps and bumps with the eye. I have called the gp surgery this morning about the results but they wouldn't tell me anything and told me to speak to the doctor and that the results should have been sent ready for my appointment.

Any advice greatley received.

ps My appt is next week.

Thanks

(saw gp 15th october, made my own appt for nov 7th (due to be unavailable half term week), doctor letter arived 23rd stating nhs referal, appt sent for nhs for 29th october which i have refused (just hoping i dont regret it)

Hi,

I can only speak from my experience but whilst I was having my 3 yearly smear the nurse went to get a GP to have a look and she didnt seem happy.  GP came in and had a look and told me not to worry but thought there was a polyp and then referred me for a colposcopy and biopsy so I know for sure that they can see with the naked eye and am so grateful to have been fastracked into the system! The swabs may have been to check for infection etc.  Sounds like they are being thorough with you so thats a good thing.  Waiting is horrendous so am glad you have an appointment next week xxSmile

Hi,

I can only speak from my experience but whilst I was having my 3 yearly smear the nurse went to get a GP to have a look and she didnt seem happy.  GP came in and had a look and told me not to worry but thought there was a polyp and then referred me for a colposcopy and biopsy so I know for sure that they can see with the naked eye and am so grateful to have been fastracked into the system! The swabs may have been to check for infection etc.  Sounds like they are being thorough with you so thats a good thing.  Waiting is horrendous so am glad you have an appointment next week xxSmile

Thanks for the speedy reply.  If they had been for infection i assume they would have called me should i have need antibiotics? maybe something of nothing but she wouldn't tell me either way.  I did suffer with polyps during my last pregnancy which caused a big bleed, it was after this i was told about the cerival erosion.

My last smear was normal, however just a thought (im full of them lately) can you get a wrong result on a smear if you have a cervical erosion?? also is it common to be reffered for a colposcopy?