Neuropathy in Leg 10 Years After Treatments

Hello! I had chemo/radiation treatments for cervical cancer 15 years ago, and have been cancer-free since. After 10 years, post-treatment, I began losing feeling in my foot, which gradually became worse over time. Now, I can barely feel my foot and there is slight loss of feeling in my shin area, same leg. I’ve had MRI’S, nerve conduction tests, x-rays, etc. Nothing abnormal has been discovered in any of the imaging results. I was seen by two spine surgeons, but neither saw anything wrong with my back. Nerve test showed a slight problem, which I received physical therapy for. The therapy was beneficial, but no feeling has been regained in my foot/leg.
This is driving me crazy, because none of the doctors I’ve seen can figure out the cause of the neuropathy. I’ve fallen MANY times, the most recent fall resulting in a trimalleolar ankle fracture.
Has anyone had similar issues with neuropathy? Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you. This forum is extremely helpful.

This sounds horrible, MoreCoffee, but to be honest I would not think it related to your treatment. As it is highly localised it sounds like nerve damage or some form of nerve blockage - what is extraordinary is that none of these health care experts can work out what it causing it. That you are suffering from the numbness is bad enough - that you are falling is frightening and dangerous. You need a ‘free thinker’ like ‘House’ (American TV show with Hugh Laurie) to work it out…. This sort of nerve damage is something that hits Diabetics as well and can lead to serious problems but you have not said you’re diabetic. My husband had spinal surgery for trapped nerves and degraded disks in 2019 and he still has some trouble feeling his feet, especially noticeable laying in bed at night, weirdly. My grandfather had a stroke and lost the feeling in one foot - he kept falling as well. Interesting that the nerve test showed ‘a slight problem’; it is more than a slight problem to you, but it does sound like it’s most likely to be nerve damage or something in the motor cortex in the brain…. Keep pressing for investigation is all I can really offer. There HAS to be an answer somewhere. X

Hi @MoreCoffee - I am so sorry you are going through this. I finished my treatment January 18 and have had some mild symptoms of neuropathy and Raynaud’s show up over the past few weeks. My doctor told me the other day it really unusual to have neuropathy start after treatment ends, even as recent as mine. Neuropathy runs in my family, so it’s possible the treatment triggered something I am predisposed to. Any possibility of this for you? Either way, I agree with Jacks to keep advocating for yourself. Best wishes for you!