Need emotional support- Lletz under GA / Coil removal

Hello, I am Rachael and I'm new here. I had my first smear test a few months back and I was so scared about it, I have previously been in a relationship where sex was used as a form of abuse and I also struggle with anxiety. I did not tell the nurse this as I just wanted to get it over with but she was absolutely lovely and it was over and done with quickly, I was so relieved to be told that I wouldn't need to do this for another 3 years. Then a few weeks ago I received a letter saying that my smear test has come back showing high grade cell changes and that I required a colposcopy... I was absolutely terrified and took my partner for support. My appointment was on Thursday and I had prepared myself mentally to be examined but when I sat down with the nurse she explained that after looking at my results she thinks it is best to remove the cells with Lletz treatment without even proceeding with the colposcopy. I burst into tears immediately but she reassured me that everything would be okay and I left the hospital with the advice that she will call me Tuesday to arrange my appointment. I have suffered with extreme anxiety, panic attacks, lack of sleep and outbursts of hysterical crying over the weekend- I just feel so afraid of this treatment. I have the Marina Coil in place due to having heavy periods and I have been advised that would need to be removed but can be replaced at the same time- does anyone have experience of this? I am wanting to opt for the option of going under GA and was hoping that other women that had opted for this treatment could please share their experiences with me? I am a dog walker so I have a physically demanding job, I am absolutely devestated that I will have to take time off as I really love my job, does anyone have any experience of how quickly you're back to your normal activities? I am sorry for all the questions, I just feel so, so lost and afraid.

Hi Rachel firstly I'm so sorry for what your went through no one's deserves that and I hope.your in a better place now.with the anxiety concerning the lletz treatment I understand what your going through completely as have been a long time anxiety sufferer and your not alone don't ever feel alone your emotions and anxiety are completely normal and everyone's different I  was having complete melt down coming up too my lletz same thing cudnt sleep anxiety through the roof crying for no reason. so much so that I discussed it with my doctor who gave me 2 valium to calm my nerves on the day wich really did help so it would be worth looking in to that.also back to the mirena have had it nearly 5 years after having my daughter. so was worried how they would would go about doing the lletz with the coil in would they have to take it out etc.but rest assured when they done it the nurse simply showed me on the screen her tucking the string back up inside me and then taking them back out after the procedure so didn't have to have it removed at all..the procedure itself took about 20mins so is quick enuf they will advise you in the hospital to not.do heavy excercise or lifting and to take care of yourself after the treatment because you can feel quite vulnerable and emotional after the treatment and have cramping.also completely normal as such a private area. don't be afraid your in the best hands and they make you feel so at ease there trained in that area. Its been just over two weeks since iv had it done and feeling alot better now .I trued to push myself too hard few days after getting it done power walking and doing.too much and regret it as bleed heavily and ended up with an infection and on antibiotics. So best advice is take it easy and be kind to yourself rest and relax and let others take care of you.this forum is great to put your mind at rest and to see that theres so many woman going though the same thing your going through stay strong Rachel and best of luck you've got this sending love and positive vibes you'll do greatsmile

2 Likes

Hi Rachael

Hope you are doing ok and have your appointment arranged now.

Completely understandable to feel anxious and worried, I think we have all experienced this.

Thought my positive experience might be helpful and hope you have the same!

I had LLETZ just over 4 weeks ago during colposcopy appointment due to high grade abnormal cells found at smear. I have since been told they removed what they needed and I will have a smear in 6 months to check it has worked to kickstart 'normal' cells.

I was extremely nervous, I don't cope well with even the smear test. But they were absolutely amazing when I explained how nervous I was and asked them not to tell me too much about what they were doing, just do what they needed while I tried to zone out with deep breathing (highly recommend!). The whole process was over in under 20 minutes and nowhere near as scary or uncomfortable as I feared.

I have the copper coil which I asked them to keep in it at all possible - they didn't have to remove it thankfully.

I normally exercise everyday, running or weightlifting and this was the toughest bit for me, but I didn't want to prolong the recovery period and I'm so glad I stuck to 4 weeks of rest! After 3 weeks of bleeding, I felt 'normal' again in the 4th week and this week I've started training again. Felt so good to go run this morning!

I definitely underestimated how much I needed to rest that first week and tried to get out walking too soon. Let your body rest!

Hope this is helpful to hear, take care!

2 Likes

What a positive response-really supportive.

1 Like

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my message. I did see your responses before my treatment but I was so anxious I just couldn’t find the words to reply! I had my Lletz on the 12th under general anaesthetic and the doctors and nurses were absolutely wonderful at looking after me and keeping me calm. It was a very surreal experience but I am so, so glad I opted to be put under GA, I really couldn’t have done it awake. This meant also that they could remove the coil to do the treatment and then replace it at the same time, so it all feels over and done with… if I forget that I am waiting for the results in the post! I am finding rest difficult and I’ve got a lot of pain still. I am due back to work on Monday and I really expected to feel “normal” by now (clearly I was being naive) so I am worried about getting back to my physical job but I am planning on keeping things very calm for the rest of this week in hopes that it helps. Thank you again xx

1 Like

So good to hear that you were able to take control over your treatment and that it went well. I hope you’re feeling much better now and still taking it easy. x