Need advice

Hello, only just signed into jos trust. found out beginning of dec '13 that i have cervical cancer. stage 1b. cervical adenocarcinoma which had spread to ovary. ovary was removed as there was a 7cm complex cyst but they couldn't do hysterectomy as they would need to take away too much tissue. Treatment is 5 half weeks of radiotherapy 5 days a week and chemo once a week. then brachytherapy for the last week. i am so scared i dont know what to do with myself. im crying a lot thinking way too much! i want to run away from cancer but obviously i cant!i dont know how i am going to get through the first treatment without having a complete panic attack. please can anyone give me something positive to cling to, positive information about this treatment. i just need to know its not gonna hurt me! im very worried about the internal radiotherapy. dont know what to do :-(

Hi.. Well firstly I felt exactly like you do I felt I couldn't cope and thought I would have a panic attack as soon as I went near the hospital for treatment, but believe me you are strong and you will get through this it just takes Time to get your head around. You will always think the worst and in a way it prepares you mentally. It is the scariest thing I have ever had to do but us ladies are made of strong stuff! coming on this forum helps a lot too as you don't feel like your in it on your own so always ask or speak to someone. hope everything works out fot you 

take care

laura x

Hello Nicola.   Your situation is similar to mine in that it had spread to my ovaries.  They told me this is rare and they were not expecting it and nothing  showed up on the ovaries in any of the scans I had before surgery.  I was initially staged 1B1 and as I'd had the menopause I elected for them to remove my ovaries at the same time as radical hysterectomy.  The cancer was found in the ovaries when everything they'd taken away was analysed, nodes were clear.  Your treatment plan is slightly different though every case is unique.  I had 6 cycles of chemo, each 3 weeks apart, followed by 25 treatments radiotherapy and 2 brachy near the end.  

You will probably find that you cope well with the treatment itself.  It isn't pleasant, no point in dressing it up;  but I would say it doesn't hurt,  not physically!  Having  the treatment gave me a sense of doing something positive to get rid of this from my body.  I felt I was taking charge from that point, that is a positive step!  You will surprise yourself when the time comes how strong you can be.    Radiotherapy  doesn't 'hurt' as such.  You may have diahorrea  however in my case it wasn't  at all severe.  Treatment itself takes a few minutes but as you know it's every day for 5 - 6 weeks which can be tiring.   As for the brachy - it didn't hurt at all.   They insert 2 metal tubes, about the size of a tampon,  it's no worse than that.  

I could tell you not to worry but that would be useless - we all worry! it would be more helpful if I said, 'try to keep yourself busy'  and one piece of advice I wish I'd been given at the start of all this   DON'T GOOGLE IT!! you will only read far too much and most of it won't apply to you as each case is unique no matter how similar it seems.

Use this site for information, ask the ladies on here of their experiences, it will give you a realistic  idea of what you can expect.   Hope this helps.

Take Care

Sharon

Thank you Laura and Sharon. I think it's all the waiting, when all I want to do is get on with it. I went through a major operation to then be told they couldn't do radical hysterectomy which really scared me. Thinking this growth is still in there, growing. I feel like it's only just hitting me. Crying a lot, but I hope my fighting instinct will kick in. Emotionally this is so difficult. I have my planning ct scAn tonight then another 9 days before treatment. They can't be that worried that it's spreading. Thanks again you have helped me.x

Thank you Laura and Sharon. I think it's all the waiting, when all I want to do is get on with it. I went through a major operation to then be told they couldn't do radical hysterectomy which really scared me. Thinking this growth is still in there, growing. I feel like it's only just hitting me. Crying a lot, but I hope my fighting instinct will kick in. Emotionally this is so difficult. I have my planning ct scAn tonight then another 9 days before treatment. They can't be that worried that it's spreading. Thanks again you have helped me.x