My Treatment

I finally finished my treatment, 5 weeks of chemotherapy, radiotherapy and 3 brachytherapy, on the 23 December.

The last week was very hard with all the brachytherapies being within a week and having general anesthetic for each one, I was pretty washed out and after the last one spent the night in hospital and had to go for my final chemo the next morning.

I was really dreading the brachytherapy, and although I found the first one really difficult the next two seemed easier which I didn’t expect I thought it would get harder. I felt a bit sore the next day but not too much more than this.

Since finishing I haven’t felt as bad as I thought I would, I am tired but managing to get things done. I was worried that I would be too bad for Christmas Day but surprisingly I was ok, I got through the whole day, even managed cooking dinner, spent the evening with my family and had a lovely day.

I do have a couple of problems - bouts of diarrhoea (which are rather unpleasant) so I don’t go too far from home and eating is a problem, I cant seem to eat a lot of things and everything tastes horrible, I’m pretty much on white toast and biscuits!

I have to go back for a review appointment on 6 January, and then it will be scans and results in February.

Mel x

Hi Mel and congratulations on finishing your treatment. It must be such a relief to know you don't have to go to the hospital every day. Now you must concentrate on getting better. Look forward to hearing outcome of meeting on 6 January. Sending love and lots of positivity. Have a lovely New Year.

Helen

xxxx

I'm so glad you wrote this post Melanie.  I've been following your posts  (I'm not a stalker lol).

I've got my treatment starting Jan 4th and it's nice to read other people's stories - ,good and bad.

I'm glad you had a good Xmas   

Oh Mel I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to read this! I have been concerned about your silence and am just thrilled that you have made it out the other side, that brachy wasn't as bad as you feared, that you had a good Christmas and were even able to cook! Just fabulously well done!

You will find that the diarrhoea, the horrible taste etc. fades away over the next few weeks. Wishing you all the best for your follow-up appointments and scans. Do stay in touch and keep us up to date with how you are progressing.

(((((HUGS)))))

Tivoli

Hi Mel,

As others have said, it is good to hear from you, and even better to hear how well you have done. Amazing that you managed to cook Christmas food and even enjoy it so soon after treatment. Here's wishing you a brilliant 2016 and a year when you can put it all behind you. I am a year down the road, and life feels pretty good! 

Xx

Thank you so much for your messages, I really appreciate everyone’s support and this site has helped me so much and will no doubt continue to do so as I know I still have a long way to go.

Mel xx

Hi Mel

I was wondering how you'd got on! x I'm so glad you're coming out the other end now....

My mum finished her treatment on 12th November for 2B CC 5 four hour chemo's 28 Radio and 3 brachy....She had her review appointment on the 18th Dec (her birthday) and the consultant said everything looks to be healing fine! She's using the dilators weekly and her side effects arnt too bad now.... aching legs, stiffness, tender veins and the like...

It's all free wheeling now Mel.... I'm smiling as I write this as I can remember all your other mails where you were so worried and anxious. You've done really well and just like i keep telling my mum.... I'm so proud of you. x

Hi Shavorne,

Thank you so much for your message, I’ve been wondering how your mum has been getting and I’m so pleased to hear things are going well for her.

Yes I was so anxious about everything but things went along ok and I’m not feeling too bad now, although I do have tearful days when I think about finding out the results (which isn’t until February).

Mel x

I was the same after treatment....bad stomach etc I found after I've been the toilet taking anti poo tablets as I call them really helped! I now just go as normal but sometimes I can go upto 8 times in one day! 

I had major issues with my taste buds major issues! I could eat anything! I found eating fruit or smoothies  the best way to get things in me I also avoided food I enjoyed before hand as I went straight off them. Some days I would cook about 10 meals and not eat any of them! Speak to your doctor and ask for build up drinks as they will replace your missing nutrients as you will loose weight and its hard to put it back on! i went down to 6st I then gained weight to 7st 8 and I've gone the hospital for a scan today and have been weighed and I've gone back to 6st 13....which I am majorly pissed off at!!

if you have mouth sores there is a mouth wash that numbs your mouth and omg it's a god send! This is from the hospital or doctors.

strong tasting food or sweet tasting things I found I could eat....I was addicted to icelollys they helped with the sores and I was getting sugar in me. 

How was your review appointment mel? Been thinking about you x