Medication before GA?

Hi everyone,

I'm due to have a lletz under general anaesthetic tomorrow and to say I'm hysterical is putting it mildly. I'm completely petrified of needles and anything medical. I've never been under GA before. .will I be given something beforehand to help calm me down? I feel like I need to be put to sleep in order to be put to sleep, I'm completely pathetic with this stuff.

I'm also considering asking to have it done under local instead so I'm at least aware. I just feel like I'm equally terrified of both options and I don't know what to do for the best. Any advice welcome :) 

Hi jleigh, 

I've only just logged on after a few days and seen your post. I really hope your treatment went well. I have my pre-op next Monday where I will be discussing this and asking for medication before I'm put to sleep as I've had a previous traumatic experience which I've been told by every single lovely doctor and nurse is possible. I've also been told to ask for the anti sickness injection afterwards! I broke down at my colposcopy when they said I had to have it done under general and said I'd rather have it done awake no matter how painful. She said I didn't have a choice as the area was too large so I'm assuming this is the same in your case.

How did it go? How are you feeling?

x

Hey, 

I'm really sorry I'm not going to be much help here...as soon  as the anaesthetist and doctor doing the surgery came in to discuss with me I had an absolute meltdown at the thought of being put to sleep. We had a discussion and the doctor was happy to do mine under local anaesthetic with gas and air to help my anxiety. However, I was only referred to do it under general because of how anxious I was at my colposcopy and biopsy. 

I will say though when we were talking about my options the anaesthetist said could have the gas and air and then if I was too anxious or it wasn't safe for the surgeon to continue they would put me under GA, so that is definitely an option (also, once I started having that I literally did not care what they were doing, they could have put me to sleep and I wouldn't have cared, I was high as kite) and I believe they are able to offer other things like diazepam to help calm your nerves beforehand, though I can't say that for definite.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm 100% sure you will be able to have at least gas and air which was amazing!

I'm sorry you're going through this, it's really horrendous, I have been a mess for weeks. I've also been diagnosed with high grade severe dyskariosis and I'm just hoping that they were able to remove everything and there's nothing nastier lurking around for me to worry about.

X

For this reason, caution should be used in telling them to take all antihypertensive medications on the morning of surgery.