Lung problems after 17 years remission

Not sure if I’m in the right place, guidance please !

I am 74 years old. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 3B in 2004. I had chemo/radiotherapy plus brachytherapy and was told that I was ‘clear’ in December 2004. I had all the usual joys of late stage side effects, bowel and bladder problems, insufficiency fractures partly helped by a vertobroplasty, and continual back pain. However, I made the best of things and got on with life. I was able to nurse my husband through pancreatic cancer for 18 months until his death in 2018.

As my back pain seems to have shifted from lumbar spine to thoracic spine I visited my (new) GP and she sent me for an Xray. It just showed that my osteoporosis was getting worse. My pain had also shifted to my sternum, so I asked for a chest x-ray as well and this was done a week ago. Now my GP has phoned to say that she is referring me to the respiratory consultant and I have an appointment for a CT scan and a clinic appointment for next Wednesday.

Anybody got any opinions on whether the current lung problems are connected to the earlier cancer ? I feel very fatigued, occasional cough, and pain between my shoulder blades and in my chest. I get breathless very easily. Five years ago I had major heart surgery.

Thank-you for reading this.

Dear JustMo,

I don’t have any experience to help you, but I just wanted to touch base with you and say what a remarkable person you are. I’m sorry to hear you fell foul of all the possible late effects of your cervical cancer treatment. What a bummer. To have been clear of cancer for 17 years - you well and truly beat it, I would say. It must have been awful to have to nurse your husband through terminal cancer. I can only imagine. My husband had to nurse his father through the last few days of prostate cancer after his mother couldn’t cope. He says it was awful as you feel so helpless. You’ve also had major heart surgery? Wow, you have been through the mill. I suspect there could be multiple complications from your heart condition and your back problem - but I’m not a medical person. From what I’ve read though, IF you have a cancer it would not, after 17 years, be related to the cervical cancer.

I can only wish you well. It sounds like you’ve lived with a lot of pain for a long time now. I had my treatment for 3C2 cervical cancer in January and February this year and so far I feel lucky to only have bowel problems. I’m 64. I hope they find something treatable and can take away some of your pain! I hope too that there will be other ladies on here who can contribute to the conversation. A big hug for you (()).

What a kind message Jacks. I was in a very black place yesterday, not frightened at all, just looking for answers really. Caring for my husband was a joy, thanks to PCUK I knew a lot about the illness and forum members on their website are so supportive. He was only difficult to look after for the last month, and ten days of that was in a hospice.
I just really wanted to know if CC can come back and spread itself about after all that time. The x-ray I had last week was interpreted and reported to my GP very quickly, and they could compare it to an x-ray I had 5 or 6 years ago when my gall bladder was threatening to burst. To produce a CT scan and consultant appointment within 7 days is what is concerning me; you hear so much about long waits so a very speedy response is alarming.
I don’t have any family, my next of kin is my cat, and I’m thankful that I’m not burdening any loved ones with this. I haven’t told any friends about it, so a kind response like yours is most welcome Jacks, thankyou. Love, Mo

2 Likes

Dear Mo,

I can understand how the quick response by the health services could be worrying - a lot of ladies having early stage symptoms are actually more worried when things move quickly than when they take time - although this is itself is frustrating. I suspect your health experts look at all you’ve been through medically and want to make sure they find the answers quickly for you. I really do hope it’s not cancer.

I’m glad you’ve got a cat to keep you company. One is purring next to me now, nuzzling intermittently. They are wonderful. My husband says ‘my wife has 7 cats’ - they keep turning up, abandoned and stray, and I take them in… They give so much :heart: love and they are all such characters. Thinking of you and hoping the outcome of your investigations does come quickly and that they can help you with whatever it is. Then will be the time to tell your friends, who will want to be there for you.

Jacks x