LLETZ with general anaesthetic

So yesterday I had LLETZ under general anaesthetic and wanted to post my experience if it helps anyone else worrying about it. Feel free to ask as many questions you want.
My background is I’m 53 and diagnosed with HPV and high grade CIN3. I had my first LLETZ 23 years ago with clear smears since and then recently had my second (under local) the results came back showing another LLETZ was needed as the CIN reached the ectocervical margin.
The Dr said this wasn’t possible as there wasn’t much cervix to treat under local so needed LLETZ under general. The Dr was very vague and as I signed the forms she wrote hysterectomy on the form and said they wouldn’t know until they looked and would probably need a hysterectomy. No further explanation. This caused major panic but when I had my pre anaesthetic assessment the nurse said that the Dr shouldn’t have said this and a hysterectomy wouldn’t be performed at the time and a full consultation would take place before if needed.
So this week I had my covid test at the drive in a few days before surgery which was fine. I was booked in for 12pm Friday so couldn’t eat that day and could have water up to 10am. A girl was sent home as she’d had a coffee that morning. Make sure you get a list regarding fasting as she didn’t know. No jewellery, false nails, nail polish, eyelash extensions, fake tan or body lotions were allowed although every hospital seems different as I’ve had surgery before in false nails, polish and eyelash extensions so check if they don’t say. I was told no packed clothes or valuables as they had no secure storage or space. I just took my phone and face mask which I had to wear throughout. I was told to just bring dressing gown and slippers.
My husband dropped me at the door. I went dressed in lounge wear, slippers, comfy knickers and long cardigan which I used as my dressing gown. They immediately took my temperature. I went through a form with the nurse and had blood pressure taken. I was given a carrier bag to put my clothes in and changed into a gown then sat in a waiting room with several other women. I heard I was 3rd on the list. I was asked to have a wee then the anaesthetist came to see me. He actually said everything that fast, like he was sick of saying it, that I couldn’t take it all in. For some reason they had no medical background on me and no next of kin! I’d had a previous DVT which concerned me and was once sick after the anaesthetic and have a massive fobia of being sick. This was noted. The surgeon came to see me to explain the procedure then I just sat waiting which was the worst part.
About 2.20 they walked me down to theatre. They’d forgotten to give me surgical socks to put on. They put the cannula in my hand and asked me lots of questions. Think they knew I was nervous as they kept talking non stop to me. I wasn’t expecting a mask over my face to put me to sleep which panicked me a bit but not for long as I was straight to sleep.
It was 3.15 when they brought me round. I felt fine at first just really cold. I was given a sip of water expecting to be sick but wasn’t. I was taken to a ward with the other women and given my things back. I started to feel tummy pains like period cramps and as it increased I asked for pain relief but as I’d had some paracetamol at 3pm unbeknown to me they suggested I try wait until 7pm. It was uncomfortable but could manage.
They brought me coffee and toast which was so welcome and wasn’t sick. They said once I’d had a wee I could go home, which I managed fine. I felt a bit wobbly walking. I expected a lot of bleeding but there was just a brown stain. I know from before the bleeding can come later as it’s healing. The surgeon came and said everything went well and should get my results in 3 weeks … more waiting and worrying.
They rang my husband to collect me at the door at 4.45. I was so glad to be home.
I showered, got laid on the sofa and ordered a domino’s. The pain was building so by 8pm I took paracetamol but the worst pain was the trapped wind and bloating… I ate strong mints all night which was recommended but couldn’t shift it. I put a heat pad on my tummy which helped. I was really restless all night and didn’t sleep well. I had heartburn so tried to sleep sat up and my legs ached. I found kneeling with my tummy pressed on to my knees and rocking really helped with the wind.
But this morning I feel much better. I’ve mild period type pain and just feel tired and still wobbly. Thankfully the bloated tummy and trapped wind has gone!
Hope this has helped.

Glad your surgery went well, I wish you speedy recovery and good luck for your results.

Aww thank you sweetie xx

Thanks so much for posting this!
I’m almost 33 and had my first ever bad smear result.
HPV positive (for the second time this year) but abnormal cells.
I first of all went for LLETZ treatment on 18th Jan but I wasn’t aware I would be having it done there and then as I didn’t know how bad my cells were. I went into a panic and my heart was too fast for the local anaesthetic and so I’m having general done on the 7th!

I’m due to have LLETZ and a cone biopsy. I’m honestly really shocked and scared stiff.

I’m also scared about being put out for it! How are you feeling now? Xx

1 Like

Oh I’m so glad I’ve helped! Honestly it wasn’t that bad. I was terrified too but they’re so nice to you. It’s the waiting around that’s worse so keep your mind occupied… I ordered 2 pair of shoes and 3 dresses whilst I was waiting :joy: you’re asleep within minutes and the procedure took less than half hour.
I get a few tummy pains and cramps like period pain. I’ve resisted tablets just used a heat pad. At night my tummy does swell and still have a bit of trapped wind. After I’ve eaten I’ve taken a Senocalm tablet which really helps. I’m still tired and lethargic so just resting on the sofa all day. I went for my nails doing yesterday which is the first time out and I felt really weird like I wasn’t there. I was glad to get home.
I’ve had a bit of light bleeding then on Sunday I lost a clot which scared me but I’d lifted a tray of coffee so don’t know if that caused it. I’m not usually good at not doing anything but I’m trying to listen to my body. I’m fortunate that I don’t work but if I did I wouldn’t even think about it for at least a week maybe more. I’m going to try a short walk with the dog on Saturday and build it up from there.
I have a bit of lower back pain and really achy legs too.
I hope everything goes ok for you, please try not to worry they’ve done this a million times before and it’s more comfortable than having a local anaesthetic.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your kind reply.

I am currently on edge still as D Day is nearing!

I hope you are feeling better today. Sending a hug xxx

2 Likes

I’m so pleased it went well for you :grinning:
I am waiting my second colposcopy results at the minute but the doctor said going by what he saw last year and this year and my notes the area has increased and I will need treatment.
Now the colposcopy was bad enough, they always struggle to get to my cervix. I had one nurse fanning me down and another offering me a sugary treat. There’s no way I can have lletz on local. Can I ask for general? It’s all ok thinking about xx

1 Like

Hi Emma I’d definitely speak to them and ask. If they see you’re nervous or uncomfortable it makes it more difficult for them so it makes sense for a general. I’m surprised they haven’t suggested it. But definitely ask. I’ve always had trouble with smears as my womb tilts back and it’s always really uncomfortable. And because I’ve had previous LLETZ there wasn’t much cervix left so general was the only option so I’d be perfectly still. Good luck hope everything goes well xx

1 Like

Thank you for posting your story. I’m going in for a LLETZ tomorrow under GA and am a nervous wreck! I’m scrolling through story after story looking for positives

It’s honestly not that bad, it’s the waiting that’s worse as it gives you more time to worry. Take something to try occupy your mind. It’s over in a flash. I recovered quickly and have the all clear now. Good luck xx

1 Like

Well it’s been a very long day. I had to be at the hospital for 11.30 and was on the afternoon list. I got there and changed into a gown with my dressing gown and slippers. The nurses were lovely the entire time even tho I was an emotional wreck and anytime anyone came to speak to me I just cried! They said I was third on the list. Spoke with the nurses and surgeon and anaesthetist and went down around 3.30. They couldn’t find a good vein so had a few attempts at that and honestly I think that was the worst bit! I was asleep in second and then it was over with!
I was up on the ward at 6 only to find my bag had been sent home with another patient. 4 hours later bag is returned and I got to go home :blush:

That’s just what you need! I’m glad it’s all sorted now. Take it easy, if you have any questions about recovery I’m happy to help. Hope you’re feeling ok and you get the all clear.

Hi there
Hope you’re doing ok? I’m on day 2 now and have just started bleeding? I am due on my period, and I am like clockwork. Do you think it could be that? It’s all such a worry!

I bled for 4 weeks afterwards and it gradually got less and less. Just try take it easy for a bit. I didn’t walk anywhere for a week then built it up. I noticed if I lifted anything heavy the bleeding increased, so give yourself time to heal xx

Hi There,
I had LLETZ with a general 8 days ago and it was very smooth. The highlight being the deep sleep I got from the general! Two small children- it’s been a while.
Now here I am 8 days on and for the last two days I’m experiencing a black discharge, vaguely reiminiscent of wet ash.
Does this sound normal? I’m not in any pain, but am wondering if I should go back to the hospital. Thanks so much!

Hi, I am from Australia and 7 days ago I had Lletz to cervix in hospital under general anaesthetic for cin2-3 dysplasia. Everything you described from the time your arrived at hospital to the time you left was similar to my experience also. The nurses were nice and caring, and I did receive my hospital socks. I shared a similar anxiety before surgery. The surgeon spoke to me 5mins before I was put under and she said she would give me a local anaesthetic while I was under general into my cervix and that when I wake from surgery I wont feel any discomfort for a few days after surgery, and I didn’t. I had my surgery on a Friday. When I left hospital I was a bit wobbly and felt drowsy. I had something to eat I felt a bit better. Sunday night I felt cramping like pains, bit of bloating, dull aches also feels like a spasm sometimes. Ive had mild light brownish discharge no bleeding for 7 days so far. I still have aching pain and cramping. The surgeon called with my results Wednesday and she informed me that she was happy with the results and she would see me in 6months I told her about my pain still an she told me to visit the local GP, that I may need antibiotics. So I am going to my GP tonight. My question is, surly it’s normal for woman to feel some post surgery pains a week or so after, depending on severity. I only ask this because the surgeon said I shouldn’t feel much at all. My guess is my GP is going to tell me the same thing that I shouldn’t be feeling much. I think everyone is individual with pain. An whilst its not unbearable pain it’s a bit annoying. Hope it doesn’t last much longer.
How are you going along now?

Hi, I had bleeding and cramps for about 4 weeks similar to period pain. It wasn’t anything I couldn’t cope with. At first I took painkillers but they constipated me so stopped after a week and the pains eased but occasionally had a twinge if I overdid things. I didn’t go out for the first week and built exercise up gradually. I’m sure what you’re experiencing is normal but best getting it checked if you’re worried xx

1 Like

Hi, I had bleeding for 4 weeks sometimes heavy if I overdid things. It gradually became a brownish stain. I tried not to do too much in the first week as the bleeding got worse so built exercise up gradually. I’m perfectly fine now and given the all clear xx

Hi,
thanks for your reply
I visited the Gp to check about the pain I was experiencing post Lletz and she did a swab test of my cervix for infection and has placed me on a course of antibiotics. My pain has increased since the swab an my discharge has turned pink from brown. Cramping pain, bloated, aches like gas or something, sometimes nausea sort of gone off my food a little to. The hospital gave me paracetamol for pain. Ive been taking that. Hope the pain eases soon, going to try walking this weekend.

I am glad you are ok now. Gives me some hope :slight_smile: x