LLETZ under GA?

Hello everyone,

I’m just hoping for some advice please? I’m 31 and I have three amazing children. I have had abnormal bleeding (every day) for 5 months. It’s something that I have been putting off due to, honestly? Having a lot on my plate (silly I know) and knowing that my smear was coming up soon. I also have a blood disorder so I just put it down to something to do with that and my coil.
My smear came back abnormal, high grade and HPV positive so I was referred to have a colposcopy and treatment.
I went to my colposcopy appointment on Thursday, the nurse was absolutely lovely!! She made me feel so at ease. But then when I was on the bed and she had a look, she turned to the assisting nurse and said “you know what I’m going to say don’t you…. Referral for Surgery” she then turned the screen to me and showed me the yellow areas of abnormal cells. Sorry for too much information now… but she sort of moved my cervix to the side and said that the cells go ‘all the way up and around?’ And there is also a few lumps. She said my cervix looked raw, very irritated and vas
She explained that she didn’t want to take biopsies or anything right now and that she would rather send me to theatre for treatment.
I am booked in for my surgery in two weeks and boy am I worried! I know I shouldn’t be… but I am. My mind is now running with questions… has anyone else had their treatment under GA without asking for it?

Any of your advice and experiences would really help.

Thank you,

Becks xxx

Hi Becks. I had my Lletz under general without asking. My surgeon who was doing the colposcopy said it would be more comfortable for me. I had Cgin and was awaiting a hysteroscopy for abnormal bleeding so he decided to do it all in one go. I quite liked being knocked out to be honest and the care I had was great. Best of luck. Take lots of questions with you. I was so shocked when he said I needed an op i complexly froze and didn’t ask anything.

Thank you so much for your reply and I honestly was the same! I froze and didn’t ask the many questions that are now swirling around my mind. I just nodded and went out.
I have my pre op tomorrow, do you think they would be able to answer any questions?
How are things with you now? Did they get to the bottom of things for you? I hope everything went well for you :slight_smile:
Xxx

Hi Becks,

I hope you’re okay and your surgery goes as well as it can.

I chose to have GA because I’m terrified of needles. I can honestly say I am so glad I made that decision. I had my LLETZ on Friday and I am recovering just fine. I don’t recall what happened as I was put under, and it saved me a lot of worry and stress, which I’m sure I would have experienced otherwise.

Wishing you well x

Thank you for your reply Tara and I’m happy to hear you had a positive experience :slight_smile: I’m just sat at my pre op appointment now (scary times)
I just feel like I want it all over now and to move forward. Xx

My pre op was a bit of a nightmare to be honest as the nurse I saw kept saying I had cervical cancer and they were investigate. When I went for my op that was not the case as all. The op went well. I waited 6 weeks for my results which was agonising. Finally my consultant rang to say they had clear margins and a polyp they found was benign. No other treatment for now but another smear in January. The nurse and surgeon and anaesthetists were amazing. Hope it goes well for you.

Oh that’s a real nightmare I bet you were worried sick!!
I’ve had a bit of a nightmare at my post op… the post op nurse has refused my operation that was booked for the 15th as I have a chest infection and I’m on antibiotics. They have moved it for at least 6 weeks away taking us to mid November. I’m devastated if I’m honest, I just have an awful feeling and really wanted this to be done and over with. Ahhh what will be will be :pensive: xxx

Sorry pre op… not post op x

How disappointing. Stay strong. You need to be in good health for a general anaesthetic. Whatever they do you’ll be in good hands. It’s the waiting which is the most painful. I was so anxious. But in the end I thought whatever was going on it had to be sorted so I had no other option but to grit my teeth and wait. Keep us posted and get in touch if you have any other questions.

I asked to have my LLETZ under GA, because I have C-PTSD from a sexually abusive relationship, and had found the colposcopy incredibly difficult to cope with. I had expected to have to fight to get it, but when I phoned to ask, the nurse just accepted it without question, and put me straight onto the list.

On the day, the waiting was the hardest part, especially as we can’t have partners etc with us in waiting rooms etc at the moment, and as I ended up being the last on the surgeon’s list for that morning I was ravenous, but the staff were all brilliant. I recommend taking a crossword book, or something else really absorbing.

Apparently the surgery went really well, but I’ll have to take their word for it as I just remember talking to the anaesthetist about our respective kids’ loving strong cheese, and then waking up and being wheeled up to a ward.

I’m now 3 weeks post-op, and so far the recovery has been easier than after the colposcopy and biopsy, which has been a pleasant surprise, and it’s now just a waiting game for results.

I’m sorry to hear your op has had to be postponed, but as others have said, it’s important to be in good health for a GA where possible. I originally had a booking for a later date, but actually had a phone call from the surgeon’s secretary to say they’d had a cancellation so could I go in sooner, so maybe once your chest infection has cleared it might be worth phoning the hospital to say you’d be available sooner if possible.

Best of luck with it all, and do be gentle with yourself if you can. This whole thing is such a rollercoaster :purple_heart:

Hi Becks,
I have just had the same, so understand how you are feeling.
My story is 3 smears with positive HPV, so sent for Colposcopy and result was CIN3 cells. Apparently I was one of the unlucky ones, as my immune system didn’t clear it.
Was due to have my LLETZ under GA, as apparently my cervix is quite flat and the surgeon needs to take extra care not to damage other areas.
Had my pre-op 2 days ago and because I have just recovered from Covid, the protocol for a GA is that there needs to be 7 weeks before an anaesthetic can be given, as it can effect your chest and can cause problems with the intubation and make it slightly riskier.
I’ve never had an anaesthetic and hate that there is a further wait, as I feel that the sooner this is done the better. Hope all goes well with you xx

Hi Bex,
I’ve had two LLETZ under GA.
Both procedures were absolutely fine.
I had slight discharge afterwards but nothing that a thin panty liner couldn’t handle!
Try not to worry.
It will be over quickly and you will be back home in no time.

mX