Lletz and Deep LLetz difference

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me here. I had a LLETZ Large Loop treatment in August last year for CIN2 . I went back for a follow up this year and have been informed that I still have CIN2 deep in the corner of my cervix. My case was sent to the MDT for discussion on treatment type.

I have just spoken to the nurse who has informed me that I will be having a Deep LLETZ this time. All she said was its similar to what I had before but it’s Deep!

I have been trying to google the difference but cannot seem to find anything on deep LLetz. does anyone here know the difference?

Thank you

Hi @Sadz1

The difference would just be how much they would be removing, generally a normal sized LLETZ aims to remove upto 10mm (1cm) but sometimes they do need more tissue to remove it completely

"Depth of excision

The goal of excision is to remove all the abnormal epithelium in accordance with the type of transformation zone.

Type I cervical transformation zone
For treating ectocervical lesions, excisional techniques should remove tissue to a depth of more than 7mm in ≥95% of cases, though the aim should be to remove <10mm in individuals of reproductive age

Type II cervical transformation zone
Excisional techniques should remove tissue to a depth of 10 to 15mm in ≥95% of cases, depending on the position of the squamocolumnar junction within the endocervical canal.

Type III cervical transformation zone
Excisional techniques should remove tissue to a depth of 15 to 25 mm in ≥95% of cases, depending on the position of the squamocolumnar junction within the endocervical canal."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cervical-screening-programme-and-colposcopy-management/3-colposcopic-diagnosis-treatment-and-follow-up

Xx

1 Like

Thank you so much @Tinkerbelle29. That was really helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like