Last day before Op... Dreaded Picolax!!!

Hi ladies!
Last day of freedom before my op tomorrow… I’m strangely looking forward to it, my family & friends think I’m crazy!!
I’m to be admitted at 7:30am tomorrow… So just counting down the hours now! Less than 24 to go!!

Here I was thinking i could enjoy my day sat in the sunshine… Adding to my tan… But no! I’ve got to take picolax today… What a disgusting drink!! I nearly … Very nearly! Threw it all back up…
I’m currently waiting for the effects to take place… dreading this part!! Any one know how long it will take?! And more importantly how long it will last?!

:slight_smile: xx

Hi Em,

I understand why you're looking forward to the operation. After all the waiting and testing it is a relief when some treatment finally happens, isn't it?

I took a different laxative to you, but I think it is probably the same active ingredient. Mine took quite a while to kick in (I think it was at least 4 hours), but once it did it was over quite quickly and wasn't too bad. Normally when you have diarrhoea you have some cramps and things because you are ill, but I didn't have anything like that. Just some spectacularly noisy squittiness (pardon my French) - I was quite glad I was in the house on my own!

Just keep drinking plenty of fluid until whatever time they have told you to stop and you'll be fine.

Best of luck for tomorrow - do tell us how you get on. x

good luck Em, i guess i didn't realize that i'm going to be given a laxative the day before, more joy.

will be thinking of you

x

Good Luck for tomorrow. Hope everything goes well.xx

good Luck Emjess

i  agree with you about looking forward to op. my hubby said he was dreading the day as he thiought he would have to drag me in screaming and kicking!!! I practically skipped in because at last it was all moving forward and onto recovery.

i was not offered a laxative beforehand but if it helps avoid or lessen the  dreaded constipation post op just go for it girl :)) x

will be thinking of you xx

kath xx

Good luck tomorrow Em!

I was very excited too to be finally getting things sorted.

I hope it all goes well and you get lots of good drugs! I didn’t get a laxative before, I think the yucky pre op drinks and nerves made sure that wasn’t a problem! Ahh, the glamour never ends!

Be very kind to yourself and we’ll hear from you on the other side :slight_smile:

Big hugs!

Xxx

I think it's another one of those things that varies hospital to hospital and surgeon to surgeon. I think those that do it do it to reduce risk of infection in the unlikely event of them nicking the bowel during surgery. I don't think it's anything to worry about - if they want you to do it they will tell you. ;)

I think I’m over my picolax hurdle… I must say I feel very skinny!! :wink: even managed to top up my tan!!

Thankyou for all your kind messages and support! You’ve been invaluable to me :slight_smile:

As Jo says… See you on the other side!! :slight_smile: xx

Good luck little lady. Enjoy the sleep :slight_smile: x x x

Good luck tomorrow Em, will be thinkng of you xx

Good luck Em! If this weather continues our legs will be brown if we can get the surgical socks off! I'll be thinking of you and wishing you lots of luck. Keep us updated. Xxx

Well you'll have brown toes, anyway! ;)