Lack of motivation to work

Hi Ladies,

I am post treatment a year now with no significant side effects. I was diagnosed with stage 2b and I had the chemo-rads regime. After treatment I decided to move on with my life and I tried the cancer diagnosis not to discourage me of pursuing my career aspirations. I have changed a job and I am doing what I have always wanted to do with a very good salary packages. I would say that I reached my goal that I worked so hard for in the previous years. However, it seems that I lack motivation in general, In the past I were very career focused I would pick up more responsibilities, I would work hard to meet the deadlines, I would stay longer to work and I would volunteer. However post treatment it seems that nothing motivates me, I find it really hard to concentrate and do the work I have to do. It seems that I don’t really care which it is really strange for me because my job was and it is a very big part of my life. Does anyone came across the same issues after treatment?

Hi Maria,

I am 10 weeks post treatment for stage 2b and I have also had very little side effects.

I am going back to work on Monday on a phased return and I am looking forward to it, work has never been the be all and end all for me but I have always worked and the majority of time enjoyed it.

I am 55 and when I told my daughter I was going back to work she said I should take early retirement and just enjoy myself. I had never thought of leaving work so early but you never know cancer does strange things to you I want things to go back to how they were but once you’ve had a cancer diagnosis it’s just not possible you have to accept that things have changed. This doesn’t always mean for the worse but life and the way you view life will never be the same.

Do what makes you happy we’re only here once xx

1 Like

Hi Maria,

You may be experiencing depression. Talking therapies and support from your GP may help make all the difference lovely x

1 Like

Sometimes when you reach your goal may be that you have nothing to look forward to. Menopause maybe? Sounds like you’re doing really well, be proud of yourself Xx

1 Like