Keyhole total hysterectomy

Hi Ladies

I hope you are all well.

I wonder if anybody has had experience of keyhole hysterectomy please? In particular how recovery times were for you.

Thanks so much.

Erika x

Hi Erika

I had keyhole total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago and first week was the worst can honestly say I feel ok now. I still have to be careful I don't forget that I shouldn't be doing things which I have.  

I did a post on tips for hysterectomy you might find it helps too.

All the best xxxx

Ps when I say ok I still mean occasionally having pains esp when I over do it walking etc xxx

Hi Sarah

How soon were you able to drive?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sarah 

Thanks so much for replying to me. (Sensitive post below)

After finally having an all clear after years of abnormal smears and multiple treatments since 2006, they still can't get to the bottom of my irregular bleeding. My gynae consultant offered me the keyhole surgery today. I guess I wasn't expecting that outcome today! I have stupidly consulted Google and after feeling relieved at the solution I'm now not so sure! I feel a fraud posting here as I only ever had tiny microscopic cancer detected all those years ago at the first smear in 2006. But, you Ladies have helped me through so I hope you don't mind me gate-crashing! I have a lot of thinking to do. I go back in 2 weeks to discuss. My head is in a spin. Don't know what to do. I didn't think after all these years I'd end up in this position anyway! I worry about recovery, sex life after etc etc but ovaries will be left so no menopause.

I'm sorry if I offend anybody by posting here I am more than aware that many of you don't have the luxury of you deciding yourself so I'm truly sorry if I offend anyone. I'm also sorry for the entire rant! I've just put my feelings down as they came. Sorry again if I offend.

Thanks for replying Sarah. It's reassuring to know that you try to do too much because you sometimes forget...in a good way. Not good about your situation. OK. Time to stop rambling.

Thanks for listening.

Erika 

Hi Erika

Please don't feel a fraud at all everybody has their own worries and what might seem small to some is massive to others so it's all in perspective. 

I know what you mean regarding worries about sex etc I have to say I was expecting to feel different down there but I don't at all. obviously we haven't done the deed yet as still only 3.5 weeks.  I think they say 6 but not sure I will be ready then thinking 10 my husband doesn't know this yet haha but I would just like to be extra sure everything is ok down there. 

I have kept my ovaries too. Maybe make an appointment with your GP and see what they think (preferably a woman doctor)

Wishing you all the best.xxx

Hi Sharon

I haven't driven yet but I think it's 4-6 weeks if you feel ok. I think I will drive probably in another week so 4.5 weeks. I'm sure you could drive earlier just I am pushing boundaries in other areas so I think I will be cautious in areas I can (if that makes sense)  

All the best of luck xxx

ps look at my post on hysterectomy tips, I have lived in my maxi dresses even when cold! 

Hi Erika, 

I'm in a somewhat similar sitation to you - I have very early cervical cancer but as I'm 39 with no kids and it's very small, I'm being offered either a LLETZ treatment (had one already) which may remove all the cancer but may not, or a keyhole hysterectomy. It's a big decision... I live alone so worried too about driving and looking after myself (even though I know I'll have help from family and friends) and also I'm in relationship and share your worries about sex afterwards. I'm going to have a to make a decision soon but waiting for a further meeting with my consultant next week. Will be interested to hear what you decide.

Hi Ann

I am 35 and have no kids either. This isn't a massive problem for me as I don't want them. I also live alone so share your worries! I had 2 LLETZ already and have been clear for a couple of smears now and finally HPV negative. They just can't get to the bottom of this bleeding so this is what they have suggested. It is a big decision and i've changed my mind back and forth 500 times over. My long term boyfriend is fine with whatever I decide, I just don't seem to be able to. There is a good website I found called hystersisters, it's worth checking out. There is so much information and you can read other peoples stories.

Personally if I were you, I would try the second LLETZ first, as it may be successful. See what your consultant says but I have everything crossed for you. I go back and see mine on 8th September. I'll et you know if I make a decision in the meantime!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Erika x

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your kind words. I don't have much confidence in my GP. No surgery is good round where I live and I have just had a letter saying my GP has failed the latest audit! Not great news!

I have written a list of questions for when I go back to mynext appointment.

I hope you are getting on well with your recovery.

Erika x

Hi Erika,

Thanks for your reply. Appointment today so will see how that goes - I'm told it's not urgent so hopefully I won't have to rush a decision. I'll have a look at hystersisters - thanks again xx

Hi Ann

I hope everything goes well for you today. Let us know how you got on.

Erika x

Thanks Sarah. 

I did read your tips and so glad i did. The pillow was the best tip. I'm still using it. Also, the tip about the wind pain as i had no idea. It was horrendous but thankfully didn't last long.  I am now 4 weeks (as of yesterday) post surgery.

I woke up yesterday feeling fab so decided to do some housework and dog walking then drove the car which was fine and went window shopping. Not only did i pay for it last night but today also. I have a lof of pelvic pain and nerve type pain in my lower back and upper leg. I think i will just take it easy for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

Sharon