Irregular bleeding and worried

Good morning

Am worried and after a little advice please and if anyone else has had my symptoms. I am 42 years old and have had irregular bleeding for about 6 months now, my periods had always been 28 days apart. I am now bleeding every 2 to 3 weeks, this last period has been 8 days now whereas before would generally be no more than 4 days. They are heavy and i have to change every 2/3 hours. 18 years ago i had CIN3 which was treated and successful, I then had yearly smear tests for 10 years all which were fine, then back to 3 years, my last one was October 2019. My quesiton is can i still get CC after having CIN3 and has anyone else had this before. Am very worried at the moment, got a doctors call this week. Thank you x

Dear Jackie,

From the sound of it, you need to have a talk with your GP about the possibility of entering perimenopause. At 42 this is much more likely to be the reason for the change in your periods than CC. If you’ve been tested for 10 years and were fine (did you have HPV at your test in October 2019?) then the chances of CC are remote. Plus you haven’t mentioned any bleeding after sex (contact bleeding) for example. Perimenopause can start with irregular periods which are either lighter or heavier than before. My cycles got shorter before I started skipping them. If it is perimenopause you’ll start to get other symptoms like hot flushes as well. Of course it could be something like fibroids or some other womb related issue, but I would think CC is the least likely. Let’s hope so! X

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Yes my last smear in October 2019 was fine no hpv detected. To be honest sex at the moment is very rare but last time I did bleed after. I also get a lot of discharge in between and a strong smell which isn’t pleasant, I have been wearing a pad almost daily for about 4 months now. Is this another sign of perimenopause? Thank you x

Hi there - perimenopause does many things but doesn’t make you smell, from what I’m aware. If you’ve got a strong smell with discharge there could be bacterial vaginosis or an infection - so really good that you’ve got a doctor’s call lined up, although I would INSIST on a person to person follow up, if possible a referral to Gynaecology. You simply cannot tell what’s going on over the phone. If you were HPV negative then CC is VERY unlikely to be the cause and the smell and bleeding may, or may not, be related. X

Abnormal vaginal bleeding may be minor. But it could signal something more serious or even life-threatening, such as a benign growth like a polyp or fibroid, a bleeding disorder, an infection, or an injury

https://www.drjambujain.com

Expert recommended Dr Jambu Jain as a Top Endocrinologist in Bhopal,Best Diabetes Doctor in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Just because of Dr Jambu Jain patient reviews, history, ratings, satisfaction, trust, cost and their general excellence.