Invite anxiety

Thank you all for your advice. I have booked to speak to my doctor next week - I now remember something was said the first time about when I should have my next one and just want clarity as cannot remember! If she advises that I have it, if different from the first time, I will have the opportunity to book straight away which I will do. Will just be nice to get some medical professionals opinion and reassurance. If I wanted to discuss the possibility of a smaller speculum too would I do that at the appt?

I think some anxiety is the uncomfortableness and embarrassment I have surrounding anything to do with this type of thing (probably just me!) but from all of your lovely, supportive comments can see that it is definitely worthwhile. Thank you all xx

1 Like

Yes just explain to the nurse that you are extremely anxious and they’ll put you at ease. Just ask the nurse to use the smaller speculum and they will. They’ll keep you talking and distracted, as much as they can :blush: xxx

1 Like

@Dawnann62 Im in the north east of England, where are you? It’s normal to have chemo and radiotherapy together in England.
Have you started your treatment yet? I really hope things go well for you and try to stay positive. The effects on your mental health can be a real shock but please ask for support whenever you need to.

1 Like

Hi Lally i thought you were from a different country I’m near Birmingham will be having my treatment In Wolverhampton, still waiting to see the oncologist it’s been a week now xx

I always find smear tests really uncomfortable, the worst part for me is getting the speculum into position because my cervix is shy and likes to hide. Last time I had one the nurse was struggling to get it into position which was of course becoming quite painful for me so she actually suggested switching to the larger speculum because its longer so its easier for her to find the cervix, I will say it was still v uncomfortable but she did get it into position much quicker so it was much more tolerable. Also at my Dr surgery they don’t have the seat/stirrup arrangement just a normal bed thing, the nurse always asks me to put my hands under my bum as that position makes the whole thing a bit easier.

I had lletz last week and had the same problem… the nurse ended up using her finger to locate my cervix (she asked me if it was ok to do this first) after that she got it into position really quickly.

I do find the swab really uncomfortable as well but it only takes a few seconds.

Hope the appointment with the Dr goes well and you manage to get your test done without too much difficulty!

1 Like

Hi everyone. I spoke to the GP today and have got clarity of how to proceed so thank you all x

2 Likes

@Nw12 Hope everything goes smoothly x