inconclusive colposcopy results........ STRESSING

Hi I'm new, and I'm stressed/worried/arrrggghh

I recently had a colposcopy and biopsy as my smear test came back abnormal. Was told when I went for the colposcopy that I had a high grade abnormality? Anywho, they done the biopsy and said I would have to wait 6-8 weeks for the results, of which would propbably be an op to remove the abnormal cells. I waited 7 weeks for the dreaded letter, and it was in fact an operation date. However, when I called the hospital to discuss what this op was for (it wasn't written in the letter) they told me it was for another colposcopy as the results for the first one were inconclusive?!? What does this mean?! I am so scared, these cells have been left to develop inside me for nearly 2 months already and I still have to wait until 4th november for the second colposcopy, and I no doubt say I will have to wait for results of that too.

Like most people nowadays, my family has been hit hard by cancer in the past, I lost my mum, nan and great nan from cancer and the thought of me having it and leaving my precious 3 year old boy behind terrifies me. My period is also late, I'm sure its the stress of everything but what if it isn't and I'm pregnant too, what happens then?

Please let somebody else have gone through this. I don't know what to prepare myself for

Kelly xx

Hi Kelly - the inconclusive results just means that they could not get a proper reading, either from not taking a large enough biopsy, or something contaminated the sample. This does in any way make your diagnosis worse. I know the stress of even waiting for that first colposcopy and then the long wait for results is horrible, and now having to do it a second time seems very unfair. Bear in mind once you have that second colposcopy that in most cases, the longer you wait for results, the less likely it is that you have something serious. They tend to get back to serious cases within 2 weeks.

If you are pregnant, they should be able to do the colposcopy, and if you require treatment I think they wait until after the pregnancy. But don't worry, because it takes years for abnormal cells to change to cancer, so the chances of you developing anything hugely serious in that time is very slim. I know it will still be a weight on your mind, and the waiting is truly truly awful, but being here and talking through with people who understand is a great help.

I hope the next few weeks go very fast for you xxx

Well I'm not pregnant so that's one less thing to worry about. 

I am a very nervous person when it comes to the dreaded C word, I have lost my mum, nan and great nan to this horrible disease. I think that is the reason why I am so scared. Thanks for your reply, this site is amazing, no matter what you are going through there is always somebody to talk to that has been through it and can help try to calm your mind. Pre op appt is Monday so am going to try and get some more information out of them x