I got my start date!

That’s awesome Shammy, so glad you found it bearable! Fantastic news about the tumour shrinkage too! You’re nearly there now!!

I got my start date today- first radiotherapy on Monday and then I’ll get my full schedule for the next few weeks- I’m so relieved to get a start date at last but also nervous as anything!! Reading through some of your experiences is helping me though
My plan is 28 radio, 6 chemotherapy and 3 brachytherapy over the next 6 weeks or so

That’s great Louisema,

Any questions just ask.

Good luck xx

1 Like

Can I ask how long u have waited. Feels like I’ve been waiting forever diagnosed 3rd Oct had to wait on mri then wait to the Following week for MDT meeting been told I need a pet scan and appt with oncologist, my nurse has been chasing them but still no word. Just confused as I’m stage 2 and possible node involvement so you would think it would need done quickly xx

Can I also ask how ur treatment will work over Xmas etc? Sorry for all the questions I like to be prepared xx

1 Like

Thanks @AMF :two_hearts:

Yes @Steffi86 - I was diagnosed 27 September after Lletz on 14 September, similar to you then had MRI then PET scan and was told at next appointment what treatment I’d need- had a planning appointment on the 3rd November where they told me it’d be at least 3 weeks till treatment - I’ve been so angsty waiting that I just called today on the off chance they’d have dates and they were able to tell me they’d just issued the letter today with Monday as start date - I’ll get the full schedule at Monday’s appointment but they have led me to believe that treatment will run through Christmas?
Don’t worry about asking questions - I still have lots of them and hopefully will have more answers for you next week but that’s exactly what this forum is for!!!
I’m based in Belfast so things could be different in different jurisdictions too

1 Like

Thanks very much, I was diagnosed the week after you. I went for a Lletz procedure and was told they couldn’t do it as could see something. Just feels like the waiting is taking an age. Good luck for your treatment next week hope it goes well for you. Your prob similar to me just want it started so it can be finished. I was really hoping this would all be done and I could go into the new year and not have this hanging over me but that’s not possible now xx

1 Like

I know exactly how you feel- was delighted to get my date but unfortunately it’ll mean treatment throughout Christmas and into New Year but I’m
just trying to concentrate on the fact at least i know it’s there and is being dealt with and by God am I gonna make up for it next year!!!
I really hope your wait isn’t too much longer cos the waiting is just soul destroying- keep ringing/ following up - you just never know xxx

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m so desperately sorry I’m only getting to update now. It’s been a whirlwind and my heads been in a pickle.
The 3 bracchy sessions were extremely doable! I found them easier than chemo if im honest. Slightly undignified but the nurses and radio team were absolutely fabulous!!

Still didnt get chemo round 6 as my white cells dropped again. They’ve mention attempting it again next week but I’m so done to be honest. My bowels are playing havoc and what doesn’t help is my appetite is nearly back to normal and I’m scoffing all round me.
I’m absolutely tormented with cystitis. My foof feels like it’s going up in flames everytime I wee! Waiting on nurse dipping a sample as I type. I have been taking cranberry sachet drinks but no help as of yet.
I dont feel my white cells will recover quick enough by next week. Plus we’re being hit very hard and close to home with Covid here. I really want to get my immunity back before it works it’s way to my door.

The tiredness hits mid afternoon still but I’m managing to stretch my day out a bit longer.

You’re all amazing… I hope everyone is well!!

5 Likes

Oh Shammy thank goodness you’re done. To get 5 out of 6 chemo is excellent so you should have no worries there.

Great to hear that you found the brachy doable, its now time for rest and recuperation.

Well done you :partying_face:

2 Likes

Well done you @Shammy716 ! :partying_face: your upbeat posts are keeping me sane just waiting to start on such a similar plan on Monday! Thanks for updating x

Well done shammy I’m still waiting to start next Friday, hope all has gone well for you, lots of love xx

1 Like

Apparently I have blood and protien in my urine. Gp has put me on antibiotics as she’s wanting to make sure I dont become Ill quickly. She says with the current Covid crisis in our hospitals she would rather be safe than sorry.

Definitely better safe than sorry @Shammy716 ! Hope the antibiotics help x

1 Like

Definitely vital to be safe rather than sorry, Shammy - I ended up in hospital with sepsis following a urine infection. You are extremely vulnerable at the moment. I’m glad you’re through your treatment and the brachytherapy wasn’t too bad, but please make sure you’re treated and monitored. Xxx

1 Like

Thank you! Husband has put me under strict orders to rest and he is making sure I’ve got drinks. I think I did too much on Tues and Weds… oops. Lesson learned :pensive:

1 Like

So I got an appointment letter today for Tuesday for bloods and then week 6 cisplatin. I was really really hoping its would not happen. :pensive: But maybe they wont if in on Antibiotics for an infection!?

Any thoughts?

@AMF @Jacks133

Hi Shammy

I completed 4 out of 5 due to low platelets and wasn’t offered an alternative date to complete treatment 5. I felt well throughout and if I had been offered the 5th treatment I think I would have taken it.

However if you feel you’ve had enough 5 treatments is plenty and don’t feel that you have to do a 6th My doctor was quite happy with the 4 x

1 Like

I was personally very keen to complete the chemo - I found the shakes I got at the end, which meant I was wheeled around in a chair after my final session - probably the most gruelling thing, and the tinnitus. But both things have resolved now, so they were transient effects. It took me a few months to get the strength back in my legs but I would have taken an extra week’s chemo if they had said I needed it. Be honest and talk to your consultant about everything - I’m sure they are keen to the best for you they possibly can.

We sort of get one shot at this, most times, so I would go with the recommendation, but do talk about how you are feeling and be honest. X

1 Like