I got my start date!

Day 4 - Radiotherapy

Feeling a lot more like myself today. Crashed out asleep early last night.
Machine running just 10 mins behind this morning, in and out in a flash.
TMI- still constipated. 2 days now… downing pure orange as I type.
Still getting those brief hot flushes after the radio? Not sure what thays about just yet.
I was really people watching this morning in the waiting room. Some on the last days of treatment and looking forward to normality. A daughter doing her dads head in and him telling her to stop bloody worrying. A full on open conversion between 3 people about the mans prostate cancer!
Anyhow there was some sort of special visitor coming to the cancer centre so after my bloods were done I dashed for the car.
Really really fancied a McDonald’s Quarter pounder so I bloody well had one.
Took the dog out when I got home for a gentle walk. People still avoiding me when the see me.coming or being OTT with me. I’m being a cow today I think
:crazy_face:
Anyway, I hope your day is going ok. X

5 Likes

Shammy716

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I start my chemoradiation on the 11th, I’ll have radio Mon, tue, then chemo & radio on the Weds, then radio Thursday Friday this will be for 5 weeks. I had a radical hysterectomy29th July and had hoped that was it over but unfortunately it was found in 1 of my lymph nodes.
I didn’t really know what to expect with this additional treatment, so it’s been really helpful reading your posts.
I hope you continue to be well through the rest of your treatment
X

3 Likes

Day 5- week 1 complete.

Radiotherapy went well, had to empty my bladder a bit as it was too full, took and extra few mins but was home and stuffing a bacon butty down my neck by 10am.

Went to bed early last night, feeling a bit down in the dumps if I’m honest. All I seem to be reading/hearing/seeing is cancer. All the negative stories and thinking to myself I’m going to be tortured with this dam thing for ever. How ever long for ever will be.
I need a kick up the backside.
I am a bit achy down below I wonder is my last period on it’s way? might explain the hate everything attitude this morning.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer but I’m just trying to be honest with the emotional roller coaster that is this crap…

Any suggestions to pick up my mood much appreciated.

3 Likes

Going through this is hell Shammy. It feels so unfair and I think all us of here can appreciate the rollercoaster of emotions and feel sad/down/negative/angry etc etc. I’m really rubbish at thinking of positive things to say but I just want you to know that your updates have been really helping me this week as I come up to the start of my own treatment. I hope it helps you to smile knowing you are helping others with sharing your journey. Glad you got to enjoy the McDonald’s and all the bacon :blush: I’m also really pleased to see you got some fresh air with the dog. Food and fresh air - the best self care :heart: keep doing that and know, you are a strong warrior woman, like we all are here x

1 Like

Thank you @Sa_Rah :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Right I’m essentially just giving myself a good telling off here,

I am being such a moan! There are some wonderful ladies/men/children going through hell and I am here being a miserable cow.
I CAN beat this, I WILL beat this !!!

So sorry girls… off to have a glass of wine and wise myself up!

2 Likes

Shammy you’re doing great. I put all my appointments on a calendar in the kitchen and when I completed a week I scored it through that helped me. I also went out for walks and stopped occasionally in beer gardens and had a cider that also helped.

I was lucky my treatment was during August and September and the weather was good so had friends and my sisters round to sit in the garden.

One week down 4 to go it will come in quick believe me just keep your positive attitude going you’ll get there!!

2 Likes

Thank you for your support so far!

Yesterday was an emotional day, I felt like everywhere I turned there it was… flipping C! Hate even typing it…
I have a friend out today doing a run for a C charity and sending me pics of herself…
Yes well done… but bad timing

As for symptoms today… brace yourself…

Pink stained discharge … eurgh, lower achy back.
Been constipated for a few days…well not anymore… hello Radio runs and must have had haemorrhoids as there is blood when I go…

Lovely.

1 Like

I know what you mean about the C being everywhere. A close friend of mine has just been diagnosed with breast cancer - my heart aches for her. A colleague also being brought in for an appointment with a consultant after test for ovarian. Doesn’t it make you so angry! Everyone says be positive, you’ll get through etc etc but being positive is extremely hard right now. Hang on in there :heart:

Hi shammy can you tell me how long after the MDT meeting you had to wait for a treatment plan I’m so frightened there going to say nothing can be done I can’t rest xx

@Dawnann62 , hello my lovely, there were a number of MDT meetings… the best guidance I can give you was 3 weeks from Planning Scan until 1st day of Chemoradiation.
However I’m based in Northern Ireland, there was a transfer time from my local hospital to the Specailist Cancer Centre in the city.
Every area can differ slightly.

That’s probably of no use to you at all xx

1 Like

Thanks for the reply the waiting seems to go on forever it’s not doing my mental health any good I just wish I knew a stage then maybe I could calm down a little, the consultants and nurses are not very reassuring they won’t commit to answering any of my questions xx

1 Like

@Dawnann62 the waiting is awful. I posted a few times about it. It most definitely has an affect on Mental Health. The whole situation does. I’ve found now treatment has started that I’ve gone from focussing on the waiting game to other things. Quite often the negative things.
Trying my best to climb out of it

Dear Shammy,

So you’ve got through your first week! I recognise so many of your descriptions - including the wacking great bruises some of them give you in chemo… One male nurse put the chemo line in my forearm (I told him not to) in January 2021 and you can still see the 3.5 diameter bruise where it didn’t heal properly - it is very faint now, thank goodness - but that’s 8 months!! I think you’re doing marvellously. I think I coped better during the constipation phase - which for me lasted 2 weeks - after which it was horrible. I hope for you, because of the bleeding as well, that things actually start to get better with treatment.

The bladder thingy and the drinking is hilarious. The delays on the machine sometimes make it all more complicated, but you’ll find the weeks will pass and you will get out the other side. We are all keeping everything crossed for you that when you do, it will be with flying colours! Xx

1 Like

Thank you @Jacks133, as ever you’re the all wise and reassuring. I’ve been a total wimp and up and down like a yoyo ! :woman_facepalming:

This forum had helped me so much, I am in a dark place waiting for scan results and a stage, I’m imagining all sorts, thank you all so much for being here and sharing your stories it really is a comfort xx

Week 2 - Day 6 Radiotherapy

Sickness barely there this morning. TMI- lots of pink discharge through the night. :nauseated_face: I like to think of it as the little b*****d melting away.

After my too full bladder thing on Friday I decided to just take it easy with the drinking water. I had my normal cup of coffee and sipped on Ribena driving down. Once I felt like I had fluid in my bladder.but not needing to go I stopped drinking. Was called in on time and my bladder was perfect. Done and dusted in 5 mins and back out. Working on trying to get my mind on the positive way of thinking. Dreading tomorrow. Working on that too

1 Like

Unfortunately the stenosis seems to be kicking off this evening! My fault I think… because of nausea and bad indigestion I cut way back on the ibuprofen. Yikes…
Lying down with the full doses of what I can hoping it subsides. Definitely warrants a discussion with my DR tomorrow when I’m in for pre chemo assessment :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Chemo round 2 - Day 7 Radio

Typing as I’m chilling in the Chemo suite.
Early start this morning. Saw Dr 1st thing. I talked about the stenosis pain. She said that’s she’s confident the Radio will be having an affect on that issue, to try to stay off Ibuprofen as it and the Cisplatin together is tough on the kidneys. But I’ve not to be afraid to use my max dose of painkillers.
I’ve also been put on stronger tablets for severe indigestion. Also stronger anti sickness but laxatives to go with them as they’ll bung me up.
So for all you about to start Chemoradiation dont be behind the door in speaking up. There’s no need to suffer.
Fingers crossed it all works.
All my bloods are 100%

So… hoping I feel better this week than last. X
Hope you’re all well x

6 Likes

Good luck with your treatment. I hope it all goes well :heart:

Day 8 Radiotherapy

In general feeling better today than I did this day last week. Let’s hope it continues.
Slight tummy troubles. Having bowel movements but not very much.
Down below is becoming slightly irritated with all the wiping so bought water wipes and will slap the cream on.
Still windy ( both ways) but not as bad with the indigestion.

All in all I’m grand, early night tonight though.

Hope everyone is well x

6 Likes