Hysterectomy?

Hey everyone :heart:

So writing this in the hopes someone else has some perspective please :slightly_smiling_face:.

So I’ve had quite high cell changes (cgin &cin3) , high up in my cervix ,the glandular changes ? Anyway the first consultant I saw said she was sure it was cancer , it has come back not being cancer but they don’t trust the cells or something so I went back to have another lettz treatment , but this other consultant started asking how old I am (29) if I have children already (2)
So I started to feel a bit worried , he then went on to ask if we feel our family is compete as I’m still “young”. He then said that with the glandular cells one area can be normal and then it jumps sections that could be pre cancer cells ?
So he’s sent me home with inflation on hysterectomies , but I can’t get my head around it. Has anyone else been offered this treatment without having a cancer diagnosis?
Please if anyone has been though similar ide so appreciate your views and suggestions :pray:

Sorry for long post and if its a bit rambley :grimacing: xxx

Not long or rambly at all! It sounds as if this has not been properly explained to you at all, and you really need to be able to take someone with you to talk about the options and why they are thinking about a hysterectomy when you are so young. If the abnormal cells are in the glandular tissue, high in the cervix, then it’s likely to be CGIN rather than CIN and they are worried about adenocarcinomas, which is a highly aggressive and faster growing cancer of the glandular cells. I wonder if they will do a PET/MRi to look for possible cancer high in the cervix. What is important is that you are properly informed and that this is taken care of so that you can live a long and happy life with your family. Do get in touch with the team and ask someone to explain things to you.
X

Hello Natalie

Sorry I have only just seen your message. I don’t know if you’ve moved along from this at all but I wanted to share my story to see if it helped you. I’m 43 and had a hysterectomy in Feb due to CIN2 and CGIN. I was diagnosed in early Dec. No clear margins from LLETZ and advised to have the op as CGIN can form into an aggressive form of cancer. It certainly wasn’t an easy decision. I was finished with my family so took the op route to avoid any more anxiety. The op was pretty routine but the recovery was hard and I had a few bleeds that were nothing to worry about in the end but scary at the time. Now I’m back to almost normal. Running again and exercising, leading a full life. Had first vault smear last week but surgeon doesn’t expect any residual hpv but fingers crossed.

Anyway at the time the decision to have a hysterectomy when I felt well and didn’t have cancer was difficult. And you do need at least 6 but more like 10-12 weeks off to recover. I had great support from my husband and it helped that we were still pretty much locked down then so less running around with school to do. But if you take anything from my story is that you can do this. Thousands of women have hysterectomies every day around the world. It’s really common and side effects happen but serious ones are rare.

I hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions you might have

V

Hi Victoria
I’m so sorry for the Delay in replying , I only just have seen you did reply to me.

Our situations are so similar. Did you have key hole surgery?

I’ve since been back since my post , and I am at the point where I have to have the hysterectomy.
I’m Reay trying to get in a good mind space with it all , but I’m pretty worried.

Did you have to stay in hospital over night after yours ?

Thankyou
Xx

1 Like

Hi Natalie,

Yes I had keyhole surgery, which I am sure helps speed up the recovery time. I stayed in hospital for two nights but that’s because my op was late in the evening so the first night didn’t really count I suppose and the second night I needed to stay as I’d lost a bit of blood so they wanted to monitor me more closely. Really great care from the doctor and nurses but it was in a private hospital - food was great and I had a private room, which was good. Still happy to be home and spent the first watching TV on the sofa and shuffling to and from the toilet and bedroom. no bleeding at all for the first two weeks but then had three nights of very heavy bleeding and ended up in A&E to get checked out with scan etc - no real reason for the bleed, the docs said it can happen when swelling goes down pool of blood can be released but in a sense it was better it came out as then it doesn’t get infected. Treated with IV antibiotics and iron tablets and sent home again - nothing at all wrong since then, just had to rest and get stronger. bad ache continued for a few months when sitting or standing for too long but that’s long gone now and I feel like I did before. It massively helped that I kept my ovaries as no menopause symptoms for me (not yet - fingers crossed it stays that way for a while yet). x

1 Like

Hi Natalie, apologies I have only just seen your post too. Victoria and I have had several discussions on this. I was also diagnosed with CGIN in August and I am having my hysterectomy this Monday. I had my pre op today and I’m now isolating for the weekend. It’s getting very real though! I’m 42 so for me it feels the right decision. I did think long and hard about it though as it’s a big decision and I find the thought of an operation pretty scary. I have two children and I’m a very anxious person so I don’t think I would cope well with the check ups that comes with CGIN. I’ve also been told it’s harder to monitor than CIN so I feel I would always doubt any clear results now I’ve been told that. My consultant was clear that he felt a hysterectomy was the best way forward too. Let me know if I can help or answer any further questions. I’ll be able to tell you more about my experience after Monday. Victoria was a big help to me and I am really hoping I have a positive experience too.

Good luck for Monday Lynne1 . Hopefully you can put all this behind soon and never look back again

1 Like

Thank you. :crossed_fingers::pray::kissing_heart:

1 Like