Hysterectomy

Hi ladies,
Found out recently that I have to have a hysterectomy, finding it hard to come to terms with :frowning: Luckily I have my family, 3 beautiful girls, but find it that I don’t have the choice to have anymore children. Think if I was older, would be easier to come to terms with. Feel 32 is too young to have it taken away. Don’t want to sound like I’m moaning, as some ladies don’t have any children & I am grateful I have mine. I know I have to have the hysterectomy, as it will save my life, was told if I don’t have it done, the cells will turn to cancer within 2 years. So am very lucky that it hasn’t developed to cc. Very emotional, keep crying over the slightest thing. Not looking forward to telling work, find it hard to talk to them about such a personal matter. Have a very supportive hubby & family, but it’s still hard to get my head round it all, as its happened really fast. From finding out I have abnormal cells in October to then find out I have high grade CGIN & have to have a hysterectomy Jan/Feb time. Is anybody else going through the same thing? Xxxx

Aw Ray I’m so sorry :frowning: x x x I don’t have any experience of this but I didn’t want to not say anything. The only advice I can offer would be maybe take a close friend with you (or your husband) when you talk to your work - it might make things a bit easier and give you some support as you talk about it with them. I know it’s not the same but my boss was a bit flippant when I told her I had to go to the hospital and probably have a minor procedure and asked for the time off, so it might help to have someone you love there with you as you’re talking about something so personal x x x

Hi Ray

I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. What an awful time for you hugz

I have recently had a hysterectomy for unresolved CIN3 and a fibroid growing on the outside of my uterus. I suggest you check out the Hystersisters site. It is specifically for women having hysterectomies and is a fantastic source of information and support. I have found it invaulable on my journey!

Good luck. I hope your surgery is uneventful and your recovery is smooth and quick.

Hi Ray
So sorry you are feeling so bad about all this. I am having hysterectomy next monday because of unsuccessful cin 3 removal by lletz. I am a bit older (47) and have 2 grown up children. (lUCKY ME)
I would have preferred not to have to have it done and have my moments of a wobbles but i try to think of it as the treatment giving me a chance to stay to see my kids grow up and grow old with hubby!! Losing a bit of me thats done its job and served me well is a small price to pay for that.
I don’t say this to upset you , just to try to help you see the positives:) My brother sadly died of melanoma in 2010 and left behind 4 beautiful children he would have had any treatment done to stay. Sadly it was not to be…
I think his fight has helped me say to myself get on an do what needs done:)
I agree about telling people, i am very defensive on who is allowed to know whats going on. Just told hubby to say ’ womens problems’ that usually stops the questions! lol
I have found the humour on this site so uplifting and even when i want to cry there is always someone going through worse posting such positive things to other ladies struggling that it gives me a bit of a shake and tell myself i will be fine too!
Another tip i have gained from this site is its ok to have wobbles sometimes. I try not to but i can be very emotional and have discussed this in advance with hubby as i have no wish to divorce in 2013! Hubby felt i was coping without him and really i wasn’t so that was some heart to heart but i think i will now be forgiven post op if i am a bitch for a while!! :((
Sorry to ramble but i really do understand where you are coming from and wish you all the best and lotsa hugs
Kathx

Hi ladies,
thanks for your comments, it has helped :slight_smile: Still not told work yet Becky. Waiting to speak to someone I feel most comfortable with, think I will feel better once I have told them. Person I want to talk to is busy all week, so will have to wait til next week. Got Drs appointment next Tue, as got loads of questions.
How did your hysterectomy go Kay? How are you finding the recovery?
Try to be positive Kath, but sometimes just get waves of sadness. know I am very lucky, and appreciate my kids more than ever. My 18 month year old is helping get through it, she is so happy all the time & at the age when she loves to make you laugh, she’s a little character. Didn’t think the next stage would be a hysterectomy, just can’t believe its happened. Yes, have said sorry to Hubby, if I’m horrible post op :slight_smile: not the kind of person who likes to rest, always on the go. Good luck with your op Kath, hope your ok Kay after your op.

take care love Rachael xxxx

Hi Ray

My jysterectomy went really well. I am almost 5 weeks post op and am doing fine. I had and LAVH (Laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy) which meant no big cut across my tummy. I have 5 small incisions that the instruments were put through. I had very minimal pain for maybe the first week and hardly any since. It is a major surgery though, and the worst part for me really has been feeling so well, but not being able to do anything much, because I know there is a massive amount of healing I have to do on the inside. You would definitely need some help with bubs after your hysterectomy. You shouldn’t lift anything heavier than 5 or 10 pounds for the first few weeks (everyone seems to get told something different, but the gist is always the same … no real lifting for at least 6 weeks), and things like vacuuming, mopping, hanging washing and pushing a shopping trolley are off the cards for the first 6 weeks.

I am very glad to have had my surgery. I will no longer have to worry about fibroids or polyps or hopefully CC. I will still have to have vault smears, just like pap smears, but the risk of cancer is hugely reduced. And I will never have another period! It felt sooooo good to give away all my tampons after surgery :slight_smile:

Hi Kay, thanks for your reply. Hope your well. Think I am going to need a lot of help with the school run, than I thought if I'm not going to be able to drive for a bit or push a pushchair. Do you know how long your not aloud to drive for? Still waiting for a date for my op. But have told work, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be :) xxx