Hysterectomy

Hi. This is my first post.   I've had 3 lletz treatments since april for severe abnormal cells and all have failed.  I've now been told I've to have a hysterectomy.  I'm terrified of this and how I will be after.  I'm 41 in a relationship and have no kids.  The no kids at the moment is not an isues, but the thought of not having my female bits and how I will feel once they are gone is what scares me the most.  I know I should be glad this is all being caught in time.  

Any advice on the op itself, recovery and how it feels after.  Actually everything about it would be a great help.  For personal experiences.   It worries me that I will be or feel different too.

Many thanks 

Hi. I can't help with advice but I'm in the same boat. 2 LLETZ treatments for CGIN and now I have to have a hysterectomy.  I'm 40 with 2 kids, so I have no use for my uterus but I'm still pretty scared of the operation and recovery. I'd also love to hear any stories from people who have been through it. Do you know what kind you are having? Total or radical? Abdominal or laparoscopic? Sorry if that's too personal.

As I write this I am waiting to go into surgery for the same reasons as you 2 ladies.

The plan is keyhole - but consultant just been round and explained that they will go in and look first as there can be scarring from multiple rounds of letz which in turn means that if they can't get the whole cervix out by keyhole they then do abdominal. I'm hoping will just be keyhole. 

Have been on a facebook ok group called Hysterectomy Sisters UK which has been informative and supportive also. 

I will let you know how I get on post op.

I'm 46 btw and they are also taking ovaries.

Jane

x

Good luck Jane!!

I think I've seen a previous post of yours. Am in right in thinking that if you are over 45 they will take your ovaries? Let us know how you get on.

Kirstyn 

Hi ladies, I'm 9 weeks post op, i had laprascopic and took everything apart from my ovaries, I'm only 33.

1st few days were bad, but I was up and about after about a week and went shopping etc after 1 1/2 weeks.  We had a weekend away at 2 1/2 weeks post op and I walked for miles! Back to the gym after 5 weeks also.

I was so sad about having everything removed and worried about how I would feel, I thought I wouldnt be much of a woman anymore and cried for weeks before!  I read lots of things about body/sex life/orgasm etc and it scared me, I didn't want any of that to change, it turns out that nothing has changed! Orgasm is the same, sex is good and I dont notice any body changes (we actually had sex 3 weeks after the op and all felt great)  think I've been so luckily with my recovery and I think it could be down to my health and age, 

i wish you all luck with your journey ahead xxxx

debbie.

That's great to hear Debbie.

I've just been told that my hysterectomy is next Friday, it will be an abdominal surgery and they are not taking my ovaries.

Same boat here too ladies! 2 lletzes and still have sodding abnormal smear results so I've talked them into a hysterectomy.

Debbie - thank you for sharing your experience, it makes me feel much more positive when I hear recovery stories like yours!

Kirsthan - did you literally just get a week's notice? I'm waiting for my date still but am hoping for a bit of notice to get organised! I best start getting things together if you only get a week!

Claire - no solid advice to offer but know that you're not the only one here that's going through this, we can go through it together and this site is a great source of support and wisdom from those further down the road than we are.

xx

2 LLETZ for high grade CGIN and it's urgent apparently. I was counting on at least a months notice. I've just started a degree, like last week, so it's not the best time, but as the surgeon said " you've got to do it to be around for your babies". Can't argue with that!

Hi ladies

So am 2 days post op - laparoscopic everything including ovaries gone. Honestly I don't feel too bad at all. The hardest thing so far is doing nothing as not used to having time at home as normally work silly hours but I don't want compromise my recovery. 

I'm lucky that it was straightforward. The first night was a little uncomfortable due to the catheter but once that was out in the morning was itching to go home. I didn't sleep well the night before op or in hospital but that was probably a blessing as slept really well last night despite being full of wind. 

Had a great day today - taking it easy, but not been in pain. For me it was the right thing to do. Has given me peace of mind but I appreciate everyone is different. 

Good luck Kirstshan - like me they did it pretty quickly! Not a bad thing I thought as the anticipation was worse than the actual event. 

Ladies please keep us all updated on how you get on.....much love 

Jane

Xx

I'm 11 weeks post op, and I dont feel like I've had major surgery, spenot 2 nights in hospital, off all pain relief after 5 days and returned to work after 4 weeks, desk job so no lifting involved. I've been careful with housework especially hoovering and moving furniture.

I have however been too scared to explore my new designer vagina, I understand from my surgeon it's a bit shorter then before, I've not had my follow up with the surgeon due to chemo,  sex is definitely on the back burner mainly due to nausea and fatigue, my chemo cocktail is a little different to most due to small cell neuroendocrine involvement.

I am very fortunate that my husband is very understanding, I do miss the closeness and intimacy of intercourse. I don't feel less womanly even though I'm completely bald and have a few more battle scars, to be honest after years of worrying about my saggy, stretch marked mum tum, I finally feel OK in my own skin, who would have thought cancer would bring me that gift!