Hysterectomy on Friday - feeling very vulnerable

Hello ladies,

I am going in on the 14th for my hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with stage 1A1 cc in June and the biopsy taken at colposcopy had clear margins. 

I have felt very calm and level about everything until today. All of a sudden I feel very tearful and worried. I'm not worried about the operation I just feel quite overwhelmed. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi Tigger. You are not alone in how you are feeling. For many of us the diagnosis comes from nowhere, and then with the circus of CT, MRI and PET scans, not to mention pre assessment visits and endless blood tests, you are left realing. The mind tries so hard to process it all, but it is a tough job for it, especially when you are having to deal with new information all the time. It's ok to be tearful and anxious as that is normal in these circumstances. You will get through this and be able to then put it all behind you. Good luck with the op this week. There are lots of posts on here about what to expect and what to bring into hospital, and take it easy afterwards as it takes a while to recover physically. 

Hi

I had a full hysterectomy in November 2016 and an ovary out, after a diagnosis of 1A1 and it was by key hole surgery and I felt exactly like you.  I was so nervous and felt sick to the stomach.  Just the thought of an operation scared me.  On the day the staff were kind and when the time came I was just glad to be going to get it over and done with.  I had people telling me it would be alright but its only natural to feel scared and nervous.  When I woke up in the ward I couldn't feel any pain and was just tired out and weak.  I didnt even want to know how they had done it because I hadn't realised they have carried out the surgery by key hole until the surgeon came and took the bandage off, and I didn't want to look.  The next day I managed to wash myself sort of and change my night dress and later that night I was allowed to go home.    I was told if I had it by key hole then you heal quicker and that is definitely the case.  If you have any questions then please do ask xx HUGS Jayne x

Hi tigger, I'm 6 weeks post op from a radical hysterectomy, with both ovaries and lymph nodes removed. Like you, before the op I was very nervous and was panicking about the pain...etc. I needn't have panicked. The pain is manageable, just keep on top of your medication. I was kept in for 4 days as I had complications with my blood pressure. I'm now back in the gym!!!!! before the operation i was running 5 miles and swimming up to 80-100 lengths every day. I'm now managing to swim 40 lengths and I can lightly jog 3 miles on the treadmill.

goodluck with your operation and recovery xxxx

Hi Hun, I'm booked in for hysterectomy on tuesday, I've been ok and trying to keep my mind off things, until I sit down and think about it then I'm a big mess, I'm so scared. Everyone around me thinks I'm coping well as I'm not showing my emotions, even writing this I'm emotional and I feel like I can't tell anyone. 

I didn't want cancer and I certainly don't want this stupid operation and I'm so angry at it all, I just want my kids to have a good summer holidays and now I feel I won't be able to do anything with them!

good luck for friday and hopefully you can get back on and let us know how you got on.

and sorry for my rant. Xx

Debz33, I hope your hysterectomy goes very well tomorrow. I am healing slowly and steadily after mine. (3 weeks ago today) 

I wanted a summer holiday and fun with my kids too. I have to tell myself that there will be more precious holidays to come. 

Hi and thank you, I have been up all night and absolutely petrified for today

Hi Debz, I hope it goes well for you today. I am feeling good. Not much pain but a little nausea still. I am taking it very easy and resting often.

Let us know how you get on xx