Husband has warts/Wife positive for HPV

Hello,
I’m just looking if anyone has similar experience. I have been married for 7 years to my current husband. I was also married to my previous husband for 7 years.

Recently my husband noticed two small bumps on the shaft of his penis. Fast forward, I went for a Pap smear and tested positive for HPV. They screen for high risk strains and I’ve been given a referral for colposcopy.

In the meantime, is it dangerous to be intimate with my husband while he still has these bumps? He is going to try to burn them off himself. We have not been intimate for 2 months as we have been waiting on results and appointments.

Thank you!

Hi Dragonfly

Have the bumps on your husband’s penis been diagnosed as warts by a health professional?

x

1 Like

Hello,

No, not by a dermatologist. I showed my healthcare provider and she said “what comes to mind is HPV.” And then we did my pap which came back positive for HPV.

X

What your healthcare provider said sounds a bit vague. Beat to get a definitive diagnosis, especially before trying to burn them off.

Genital warts are caused by ‘low risk’ strains of HPV which are not associated with cancer. If your husband does have genital warts you need to avoid intimate contact until they are cured because thay are very contagious and, whilst they’re not dangerous as such, they can be a real nuisance and are best avoided.

x

1 Like

Understood, and thank you for your reply! Yes, I am trying to talk him into seeing a dermatologist but so far he has only sent images to an online doctor who said could be molloscum and to follow up with a gp to confirm. He’s coming around somewhat as I’m trying to explain it’s important for us to confirm.

He should definitely see a doctor and should never, ever try burning any undiagnosed lumps off by himself as that could be very damaging.

Jazza is correct in all she says about genital warts.

I 100% agree, this has been a major disagreement between us. Thank you for your reply

1 Like