HRT - yes or no?

I had a radical hyster December last year. Then I underwent chemo / radiation that finished March of this year. Needless to say, I’m experiencing menopause symptoms and surely my ovaries are no longer functioning from radiation. I was just started on estrogen patch. What are experiences / opinions on HRT. All my doctors are in agreement that this is a good choice for me as I’m only 41, but I’m worried about any possible side effects. Thanks!

YES!
I’m in my 60s and I’ve been on HRT for about 15 years. I would always advocate it if you have the choice. NHS website gives info on women who might not be able to have HRT. I want to be on it til the day I die! Once I found the type and dose that worked (oestrogen gel - my body didn’t absorb the oestrogen from patches, progesterone tablets and testosterone gel - just started that in the last 3 years and wish I’d been on it earlier, it’s a tiny amount but it makes a big difference, I feel like a stronger more confident version of me!), then it kept me feeling normal. I still have minor issues regulating temperature (minor hot flushes if I go from one temperature to another, but it’s not a problem). HRT keeps the vagina healthy (no stenosis), sex drive remains, it helps prevent heart disease and protects bone density (reducing risk of osteopenia and osteoporosis), helps brain function, improves skin elasticity and thickness, and hair tends not to thin as much as when oestrogen diminishes. I had zero negative side effects. Modern HRT has many benefits and few risks for most women. I’m still ageing, but more healthily and comfortably.

Actually, I’m adding a note about one slight negative. I have fibroids in my womb and usually lack of oestrogen would cause them to shrink after menopause. As I’m on oestrogen gel they are likely to remain. Whether they grow or shrink remains to be seen. At the moment they are not causing any issues so I hope that continues.

Having had a radical hysterectomy you may have other considerations and I don’t have experience of that. Others may be able to share their experiences. But if you can, I’d say take it.

Women have 3 hormones that are lost after menopause: oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Doctors don’t seem to volunteer the testosterone. I saw Davina McCall’s documentary about it and went to my GP straight after to demand my missing third hormone! So pleased I did, it makes a huge difference.

Hope that helps :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response!! I’ll probably feel different about it once I start experiencing the benefits from the patch!

I forgot to say I hope your recovery continues to go well. You’ve been through a lot, do what you feel is best for you. Some people find menopause a breeze. I didn’t and am grateful for the HRT. It’s worth testing out the HRT and if it works for you, continue with it, but if it doesn’t, get your dosage adjusted and if it still doesn’t seem to work for you, then stop taking it. What works for one person may not for another. Best of luck :heart:

My symptoms are very mild, however I may have just gotten used to them and once they improve I’ll realize how much they have effected my lifestyle.
Thank you for the kind words! I feel good overall.