HPV to Colopscopy to 'Return in 3 years?'

Hey All,

So last year in about March of 2015 I had a Pap Smear return with HPV detected. It was a High Risk Strain.

I went in for a Colopscopy - however the Dr who did it told me everything looked totally normal.

How can it be that I have a high risk strain and told to just return in three years? Seems an awful long time to wait to see if abnormal cells continue to grow?

Thoughts/advice/info ladies?

Thanks so much,

cuddles x

Hi there

there have been lots of people who say initial testing isn't that accurate, however colopscopy is. But 3 years is a long time I would get a private one done every year but that's only because I think 3 years is too long anyway. perhaps go and speak to your GP about it x

Hi Cuddles

If I was you I would push for yearly smears.

I had an abnormal smear 3 years ago and was sent for Colposcopy.  The nurse who performed it said there was HPV but the cells didn't look that bad and I was put back on 3 yearly smears.

3 years on and another abnormal smear so go for another Colposcopy.  Again the consultant thought that things didn't look that bad but because I was very tender she decided to do a biopsy.  This came back as CIN 3 with cancerous cells.  I was then sent for a cone biopsy and that has come back with no clear margins so now I am having a hysterectomy. 

I'm not trying to worry you, I just think, from my own personal experience, anyone who gets abnormal results should be tested yearly.

Hi Cuddles

I had an abnormal smear 3 years ago and was sent for Colposcopy.  The nurse who performed it said there was HPV but the cells didn't look that bad and I was put back on 3 yearly smears.

3 years on and another abnormal smear so go for another Colposcopy.  Again the consultant thought that things didn't look that bad but because I was very tender she decided to do a biopsy.  This came back as CIN 3 with cancerous cells.  I was then sent for a cone biopsy and that has come back with no clear margins so now I am having a hysterectomy. 

I'm trying to worry you, I just think, from my own personal experience, anyone who gets abnormal results should be tested yearly.

Hi Cuddles

I'm not trying to worry you, I just think, from my own personal experience, anyone who gets abnormal results should be tested yearly.

So many women on here have said they were told everything was ok at the colposcopy & sent away. 

I think it's ridiculous, even if it looks fine it can develop like in your situation & now you have to go through this. So sorry for you x