HPV - positive result in relationship Q's

Hi,

I found out a week or so ago I had tested positive for HPV, referred for a colposcopy at the end of this month. I feel I was naive about the smear test, not realising it was testing for the HPV virus or even knowing what the HPV virus was until now. Whilst I suspect my husband and I have passed the virus between eachother over the last twenty years, I am now really worried about being intimate whilst I wait for the colposcopy incase I pass it to him.

When we met he did tell me he had been treated for genital warts, they had cleared up but could reappear, at the time I remember thinking they’d been treated so it wasn’t a problem, but now I find myself wondering if this could be the cause of my positive HPV test or am I just confussing the two? Any advice greatly received.

Hi,
Genital warts are caused by low risk hpv. I don’t know if the test shows any type of hpv or only high risk. I have genital warts, i had a biopsy to confirm the diagnostic. I wouldn’t worry about passing the virus , probably your husband already has the same type of hpv as you do, chances are his is already immune. I don’t know if my answer helps you. Hope you do not have any cell change.