HPV Positive and having boardaline changes in cells

Hello,

i’ve recently just received my letter back after having my smear test.

i’ve got high positive HPV and it has left boardaline changes to my cells.

Can someone help answer my questions as i’m extremely confused and so scared.

What does boardaline changes mean? and does that mean if it’s already affect my cells my immune system won’t fight it off. I’m terrified that this is going to lead to cancer…

has anyone got any advice

2 Likes

Hi, i think borderline changes means low risk cells, they found abnormal cells but they deem them as low risk but i would consult with a doctor.

did you also have a colposcopy appointment or have you been told to have another smear in a years time?

its most likely that your immune system may change the cells back to normal.

how old are you?

1 Like

Hi Maddie,

I had exactly the same result has you in May this year. Please don’t worry! Borderline changes mean low grade changes. The colposcopist will just take a closer look at your cervix with a microscope which stays at least 30cm away from you at all times. I found it painless really. If it is confirmed low grade you may be the same as me and just booked back in for a years time again to check your body has fought it off. Your immune system can still get rid these cells itself at this stage. If in a years time the cells haven’t gone they will remove them under local anaesthetic. The cells will only possibly turn into cancer if left untreated for 10/20 years. So please dont worry!

If it helps i created a video with the NHS to talk about my experience from start to finish of hpv, colposcopy and CIN grading and what is on offer. You can view it here :slightly_smiling_face:

https://youtu.be/XAkKutsrBfc