HPV Positive - 8+ years

Hi

Looking for some advice as am sure many people have been in my position. I was hoping to discuss the results with my GP but unable to get an appointment for at least another month.

I have received my results back and am HPV positive with no abnormal cells, whilst I read this is good news, I can’t help but feel worried.

I have been in a long term relationship with my husband for 8 years, with no other partners.
Previous tests in 2014 and 2018 were all clear but understand HPV was not screened for then.

To me this means that my body has not cleared this infection for over 8 years. I appreciate it is supposed to be very common, but knowing 90% of people clear it within 2 years has caused me to panic that I’m already in the minority and therefore at far higher risk already.

If this has been laying dormant in my body and has only been ‘re activated’ recently, is it 2 years from when it reactivates or should your body be clearing it when it’s dormant too?

Sorry for the long post, when you read that in the majority of cases it clears, it’s feels a little un easy to wait another 2-3 years potentially for this to be looked into further.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Like

Hi Kxx1

I’m not sure of the answers to your questions. It seems that HPV reactivation/dormancy is somewhat nuanced (for want of a better expression) and ultimately it’s down to keeping up to date with your smear tests - something I sadly failed to do - see my back story.

HPV positive with no abnormal cells means you should be invited back for a smear test after 1 year:

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cervical-cancer/getting-diagnosed/screening/results

For the most part the worst thing about HPV is the anxiety it seems to cause. You are in a better situation than in the ‘old’ days when the cells were first thing to be checked and you would be waiting for another 3 years for a smear unaware of your HPV status - ignnorant bliss can be a dangerous thing.

Hope this helps?

1 Like

Yes, similar situation here.

All results pre-HPV screening were cytology normal. Routine smear in 2020 HPV positive, and again in 2021. Still no abnormal cells on both occasions which is good. I’m 45 and been with my husband for 10 years so likelihood is I’ve had it at least that long, maybe longer. Whether or not it’s been active the whole time I’ll never know. However, it seems an unlikely coincidence it just so happened to rear its head in the last 2 years in time for testing! :smirk: Good thing is that it’s not caused any issues even if i have had it 10 years or more. I count myself lucky. My next smear due around June/July. If it’s still HPV positive I’ll be referred for colposcopy.

I was in a similar sitation, now I mainly post on the advanced forum. I had a smear test HPV positive no abnormal cells, a year later the same thing, was told to come back in a year, 2 months later after my normal smear I went to the doctor with abnormal bleeding, after a lot of further mistakes was diagnosed with cervical cancer was just 43 at the time. I’m 45 now. I don’t want to worry either of you but 20% of smears do not pick up cervic cancer. I would suggest you push for a biopsy

2 Likes

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for your concern. I have heard stories like yours and am aware that there is always the chance things could be missed. I am sorry this happened in your case and that you are having to undergo treatment. How are things going if you don’t mind my asking?

Of course the worry is there at the back of my mind that I may have something going on without my knowledge. However, I can only go on what is or isn’t happening symptom-wise. I don’t currently have any worrying symptoms but I am keeping an eye on things like spotting and will note anything unusual for me (I have always had irregular cycles and spotting is a feature at times unfortunately, I’m heading towards menopause, plus I’ve had the Mirena coil for 10 years now which has made my periods very light and more like brown spotting too, sorry if TMI!). I have not had any bleeding after sex, or random bleeding, or any pain or unusual discharge. What was your bleeding like that caused you to seek medical attention?

Unfortunately with no symptoms all I can really do is keep a lookout for anything odd and wait until I can book my next screening appointment in another 8 weeks or so. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that I still have no abnormal cells and that the HPV is gone!

I had a reoccurrence after my hysterectomy for originally staged 1B1 and now I’ve been told I am no longer curable. I had 5 months worth of chemo last year, but not currently undergoing any treatment.
I didn’t have any worrying symptoms, I had a small bit of blood more like tiny strings of blood and pain after I went running but day to day I was fine, I just stopped running and all the symptoms went, although when I started again the blood was still there. It wasn’t like spotting or a period which is why I went to see about it.
I hope you HPV has gone

I am so sorry to hear this Besty. It’s certainly worrying how things can go undetected for so long. I cannot imagine what you must be going through. Thanks for your response. It means a lot. I hope the HPV has gone too. If not I will deal with the next step and hope the outcome is favourable.

Betsy, may I ask - do you know what about the running would trigger the bleed? I hope you’re feeling ok these days Xx

No idea I could do other exerise fine, just when I went running after about 5 minutes I would get stomach cramp and have to stop then when i got home I would notice the ‘little strings of blood’. Maybe it was dislodging something who knows?

1 Like

Running is a high impact sport during which you are moving your legs and whole pelvic area vigorously. I run regularly and have IBS and when it’s bad, running makes the symptoms worse so I agree with you.

1 Like

Hello, I’m about 11 years into being exposed to HPV. Been positive, negative and now positive again (no new partners). I don’t know what to think anymore. I really thought it had gone but now it’s back. No advice, sorry. Just wish like you, I could shake it off like other people do. I have a really healthy lifestyle (apart from some insomnia) so it’s frustrating and I don’t know what else can be done, except wait longer. Just wanted to say you’re not the only one.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing HPV issues too. It’s very frustrating!

1 Like