HPV positive 3 times

Firstly I felt a little unsure about posting as I know many people have had much worse results than I have but I’m going out of my mind.
I’ve always had regular smears but in 2019 I moved to Manchester and here they had started doing HPV screening. This came back positive no cell changes. So I was recalled in 2020. Again, the results came back HPV positive, no cell changes found. Recalled again May 2021 and I got my results yesterday. HPV positive and no cell changes, therefore I have now been referred for a colposcopy and I am awaiting my appointment.

I am struggling to find much info in regards to people who’ve had similar results. Why has it not gone after 2 years that most people get rid of it, what happens if no abnormal cells are found at the colposcopy but I still have HPV, will I ever get rid of it etc. My plan is to go on a major health kick from today to try and help get rid of it as I’m just dreading the worst and this has been lingering over me for 2 years now! Any tips on how to clear the HPV would also be appreciated!

I signed up to post something virtually the same as you. Just got my letter that I’m HPV positive for the third time. I’m so angry and scared. I lost my mum to thyroid cancer in January and I have no one that I’m close with who will understand. I’ve looked all over Google to try and find out what it means if HPV hasn’t disappeared after 2 years, no where says if it’s permanent or what. In response to your last point I read an article about a study where they found that the immune system can only contribute to about 50-60% of fighting the infection due to ‘unpredictable division patterns in HPV infected stem cells’. You can find the article on ScienceDaily. I’ll go for the colposcopy but this is endless stress that I can’t really handle at the moment :cry:

Hi, thank you for posting this Lonrah as it feels a little better knowing someone is having similar results to me.
I contacted my doctors surgery this morning and spoke to the nurse as I’ve been Googling none stop all morning! First thing she said is stop googling! Easier said than done I know! She said it’s not known why some people don’t get rid of it in the 2 years, however the positives in the results that there are no cell changes should be a little more comforting. She said they automatically refer for colposcopy if you get the result 3 times, just to make sure all is ok! I’m not sure what happens after that so I guess I will wait and see how the appointment goes.
I’m sorry to hear about your mum, it must be hard not having her here to talk to. I am always happy to be an ear for you whilst you are dealing with this. It’s hard with it lingering over me for 3 years now but if we try to think positively, atleast we are being monitored!

1 Like

I’m glad you were able to speak to someone and yes definitely easier said than done. I feel like if I’m not researching it then I’m not solving the problem, it’s hard to accept it’s out of my hands. Thank you for your kind words, this forum definitely helps put things into context. It’s so hard not to worry though. I’m assuming we will be contacted for an appointment? I wasn’t sure if it was something we had to arrange. I imagine the wording is fairly standard for everyone.

1 Like

Absolutely, I am the same I no doubt will still research. Not sure anything will settle me until I’ve been for the appointment now! From how I read the letter I am assuming we will receive another letter confirming when the appointment is. I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later as waiting I find is the worst part x

1 Like

I got my colposcopy appointment letter which is just over a month away. I’d just about put it to the back of my mind but it’s at the front now. Have you heard anything PJ6301?

That’s great that you have received your appointment. I haven’t received mine yet, but fingers crossed it comes soon.

Try not to worry too much. I know it’s hard and to be honest it’s all that’s on my mind at the moment however atleast we are doing the right thing by going for the colposcopy. If any changes are picked up atleast we will be in the right place to get them sorted before anything sinister. That’s what I keep telling myself. Sending hugs and try to keep to the back of your mind for now. Xx

Hi Lonrah

I just wanted to let you know, I managed to arrange an appointment today. I go on Monday 5th July so only a couple of weeks to wait. I hope you’re ok, I am a little worried too but we’re in the right hands and rather us know and get checked out as I keep thinking, if the smears were still being done the old way with no HPV testing first and only cytology, we would never have been monitored so closely as the results would just be normal and we would never have known about the HPV and left for another 3 years! Have a nice weekend and you know where I am if you need a chat xx

2 Likes

Hi Guys, so good and comforting to read your comments. I am the same. 3 hpv postive smears with no abnormal cells, I had my colposypy yesterday. The doctor/nurse told me they 99% do runt biopsy, nothing to worry about but I would like that to have been more clear before I went to the hospital for the appointment. Good luck for us all xxxxxx

2 Likes

Hi LucyLou

Thanks so much for commenting. How did you find the colposcopy? Did they do a biopsy yesterday? I am preparing myself for that to be needed. Also did they say what next steps are if all clear? I’m wondering if we’d go back to 3 yearly smears or remain on yearly until the virus is gone xx (sorry for all the questions!)

Hiya, personal I hated it but then I hated the smear and I hate hospitals lol so objectively it was fine. They were super professional and friendly and the appointment was all done in 20mins. As I say the doctor said they do a biopsy 99% of the time so it’s good to be prepared for this.

The doctor sat me down first and asked me if I knew why I was there… and then asked me a few questions. Such as when my last period was. The 2 nurses then prepared me. They are all very dignified, more than the smear so you always have your bits covered with a towel. During the colposcopy the doctor talked me through what she could see and showed it on the screen. She said I looked fine, but still she did a biopsy. She said she would write to me with the results in 4 weeks.
To answer your question, the doctor said to me if all is well then it’s back to have a smear test in 3 years time. I highly recommend having the rest of the day clear. Xxx

2 Likes

Thank you so much this is all really helpful! Fingers crossed you get the all clear in a few weeks xxx

1 Like

Hi PJ6301, that’s great. I hope it all goes well for you. I had to rearrange but so it’s not until very early August. I’ve bought a AHCC supplement to see if it helps me with HPV. Please keep me updated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Ladies, just thought I would check in and see how you are both doing. My colposcopy is getting ever closer. Monday at 3 50pm - just trying to ease my anxiety by busying myself doing lots of other things this weekend! I will keep you all posted next week as to what happens on Monday. xx

Hi I just wanted to update you following my Colposcopy today. I was sooooo nervous all day but put my big girl pants on and got there! The nurses were lovely, they sat me down and asked a couple of questions, then they told me what they were going to do. I didn’t have to mess about too much getting changed as I wore a dress and sandals so literally just took off my underwear. The Colposcopy its self was similar to a smear test just lasted a little longer, however it you can watch it on the screen if you want to, I chose not too! I didn’t need a biopsy as no cell changes were found at all which was really good news and I have been discharged and put back on to 3 yearly smears! I wanted to come back on and share my story as I really struggled mentally waiting for this appointment and I wanted to leave this here so people can see there are positive outcomes too. I hope your appointment goes well, Lonrah. Always here if you want an ear, in the run up to your appointment. Take care, Ellie xx

4 Likes

Hi Ellie, that’s great news! Really proud of you for getting it done as well. I’m glad you can go back to 3 yearly, are they able to re-check HPV during the procedure or because there’s no cell changes is it safe to assume all is well?

Thank you for the update x

2 Likes

Hi Lonrah, all she said was everything looked perfectly normal and healthy and she was happy to put me back on 3 yearly routine recall. Then She gave me the information re HPV stating it is only an average that people will get rid of it within 2 years as some can take longer but also that just because you have HPV it doesn’t mean it will cause changes just puts you at higher risk.
I hope you’re ok, please let me know how you get on I’ll keep a check on my emails! If you want to chat at all, I’m always happy to. Take care xx

2 Likes

Had mine today but she took some biopsies, she said things looked fine but I’m still a bit worried why she took samples. It was agony and really hurt, the staff were lovely but I couldn’t help getting upset. I’m hopeful my results are clear but won’t know for another 4-6 weeks.

Hi Lonrah, I am pleased you went for your appointment well done! I’ve kept checking back on here to hear from you. Don’t worry about them doing the biopsies, I have heard this is quite standard so try not to worry! Good they are being so thorough! Let me know how you get on with the results. Here if you want to chat in the meantime! Xx

2 Likes

I got my result today and thankfully the biopsy just showed inflammation so I can go back to 3 yearly smear exams. Problem is these letters are so general I’m going to have to have a look around as to what this means exactly. Either way I’m pleased :slight_smile:

1 Like