HPV inconclusive? Can anyone clear this up for me?

Hello!
I’ve posted in the colposcopy thread previously with more details of my story. I’ve had symptoms of bleeding after sex (for about two years), pain during sex, pain daily in that area, and bleeding when going to the bathroom. With all these symptoms my doctor did a pap, despite me being young (21). While doing the pap, she mentioned my cervix didn’t look very good, was ‘friable’ and bled a lot during the pap. She did swabs for infections, and said she would send an HPV test along with the pap. When I got my results back, they were abnormal as expected, so I am being sent for a colposcopy.
All of this was straight forward and made sense to me, however, when sending the referral through for the colposcopy, she mentioned that I should get the HPV vaccine. I was confused, as I was under the impression that almost all dysplasia found is caused by HPV, with a very small chance (less than 1%) that it isn’t. I asked her about this, and she said my HPV result was “inconclusive” so she thinks I should get it anyway?
All of this doesn’t seem to make sense to me. First off, I thought the HPV vaccine mainly works if administered before you are sexually active, which is why it is recommended for young teenagers. Also, if I already have dysplasia isn’t it more likely that I have HPV that wasn’t caught on the pap? Should I wait until my colposcopy to decide if I should get this vaccine? Would the colposcopy biopsy show a more conclusive result of HPV?

I know that is a lot of questions, I appreciate any insight anyone may have!
Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Hi!

I've got quite a few posts on here (in colposcopy and newly diagnosed forums) after this one that if you can find may help you a bit more than this response.

Since then I've had a colposcopy and punch biopsy, came back carcinoma in situ and CIN3. I still have not had any further treatment (no lletz or cone or anything yet). I've got an appointment in early July to discuss treatment options. I still have a friable cervix and have had contact bleeding and told my cervix is inflammed every time I have a gynae exam. They don't seem to be as concerned as I am, but I guess we'll know further after I have the cone biopsy carried out. 

I still have no answers for the HPV, they have not tested me for it at all because I am 'too young' and they just assume everyone has it if they're under 25 and sexually active (so I've been told, I live in Canada). 

Let me know if you have any other questions, I saw your post in the other forum about the friable cervix- I've got a lot of experience with that. Hope all is well with you!